My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first time on the list. Not sure if I'm in the right forum for this question so let me know if I'm not. I did do a search but was unsuccessful.

I have an older JD stx 38" black deck, Kohler command13 motor. It starts running extremely rich and finally dies. The plastic air cleaner system fills with fuel. The exhaust is white smoke (gas burning) and the gas is getting into the crankcase.

I took the mower in for, what I'll call "a fuel related problem". They changed some fuel line, a fuel filter & a air cleaner. Said that it ran fine and charged me $113.

After one mowing, this problem returned. I didn't have much trust in the service dept. so I rebuilt the carb to no avail. I then bought a new carb and that didn't change a thing. I read on a forum that a fuel pump with a torn diaphram would cause this problem but haven't found the fuel pump. I was led to believe it was under the valve cover. When i took the valve cover off I only saw a "reed valve" type object. I assumed that this allowed crank case fumes back to the carb for burning.

I'm at a loss and there's not much more hair to be pulled out of my head. Can anyone lead me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Ron

·
Registered
125 Posts
The STX is gravity feed and there isn't a fuel pump.
It sounds like the needle and seat in the carb. is leaking and allowing too much fuel. Sounds like you've done the carb. and changed the air filter which is where I would look for a problem.
Are you shutting off the valve in the fuel line when you aren't using the mower so fuel can't seep past the needle and seat?
Any chance the coil is weak and cutting out when it gets hot allowing the engine to flood?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been shutting off the fuel.

I'm going to try one last thing. Since I put on the new carb and tried running it, that's when I read about the fuel in the crankcase. Today I checked the dip stick and sure enough there is fuel in the oil. I'm hoping the fuel in the filter assembly is because of the crankcase vent blowing fuel into the filter. I'm going to drain the oil and refill......try it again and see if it's ok now w/ the new carb.

Thanks for your reply......I'll let you know the result.
Ron

1 - 3 of 3 Posts