My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys new member here awesome site!! I did a little searching of this but I'm not an electrical wizard so could use a little help. An stx30 I have quit working. When I go to start it all I get is a clicking, it has never done it before. Can I bypass the safety switches to test them? Thanks.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The first thing I would try is make sure all the battery connections are clean and the battery has electrolyte and a good charge. Take the battery terminals off and clean them. Taking off the connections at the starter, engine grounds, solenoid and cleaning may help, but the battery is the first place to start.
Batteries only last 3 or 4 years usually too. Even if it has a charge it may not have enough umph to get past the corrosion that happens. Try jumping it. If it starts, it's in the electrical system & not the safety switches

·
Registered
123 Posts
You can bypass the safety circuits to test, but if the motor clicks when you turn the key to start, then all the safeties are working properly I think. If it clicks when the key is just turned on not to start, the pto is on and that will keep it from starting.
Did you try jumping it with a known good battery or test the battery? Their are also some engine grounds that can corrode or vibrate loose and connections on the starter.
You can test the starter solenoid by jumping it across the two large terminals on the solenoid. If the starter works, the solenoid is probably bad. If it doesn't check all the battery connections and cables or the starter may be bad. The clicking usually means the the solenoid wants to work but isn't getting enough juice or it has gone up.
Be carefull jumping. Use a large guage wire or screwdriver. Ground the spark plug wire so it can't start.
Also try banging the starter and solenoid with a piece of 2x4 while trying to start. Sometimes it will jar something free. Not too hard.

·
Janitor at Large
5,618 Posts
Apparently, the STX38 is known for this problem....not sure if its the same with the 30.....The power has a hard time getting through all the switches to the starter. John Deere has a relay kit that rectifies this.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Apparently, the STX38 is known for this problem....not sure if its the same with the 30.....The power has a hard time getting through all the switches to the starter. John Deere has a relay kit that rectifies this.
The stx30 is essentially the same as the 38. I didn't know about a relay kit. My stx38's solenoid does sometimes click a bit, but I've always been able to keep it going by keeping all the connections clean.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
coach thanks for the tips, so if I wanted to get it going and it is the solenoid I can take a good screwdriver and hold it across the terminals which should jump it if the battery is good? Can these solenoids be serviced?

·
Registered
123 Posts
coach thanks for the tips, so if I wanted to get it going and it is the solenoid I can take a good screwdriver and hold it across the terminals which should jump it if the battery is good? Can these solenoids be serviced?
Not that I know of. Solenoids get replaced when they don't work.
I had an old 6 volt Volkswagon and it wasn't unusal to see me on the ground with a screwdriver to start it if I didn't have a hill to roll down. Sometimes the solenoid worked and sometimes it wouldn't.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't think it's the issue the relay kit is meant to solve. The relay kit provides extra power to the starter. If this were the issue, the STX30 would turn over or at least try to turn over. You'd get more than a click.

·
Registered
138 Posts
On my STX38, when the starter has clicked it has usually been a matter of the battery not having the correct charge. I know that are many other reasons and possibilities, but if I charge the battery a bit before I mow, It cranks the first time and every time after that if I have to stop for any reason. Also, if the battery is a bit low, the electric PTO will not always start. As I said, this is a bit simplistic, but it is worth checking. :fing32:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I put the battery on a battery tender and after 12 hrs it was still not fully charged which tells me the battery is defective, maybe a broken cell. I removed the battery and hooked a booster pack directly to the terminals and it still does the same thing.. I tried to jump across the solenoid and nothing. When I did remove the battery I noticed the relay behind it had come apart (the casing) so I popped it back together. Not sure where to go from here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
update, I tried to jump across the solenoid again with a fully charged battery and the starter turned over but did not engage. Anyone have any pointers on whats the next step please!! Thanks for all the help to this point as well, this is a pretty awesome site!

·
Janitor at Large
5,618 Posts
When the starter spins, centrifugal force should cause the starter gear to slid up the shaft and engage....Either it is sticking or is not spinning fast enough.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
guys it has been awhile since I last posted on this but I am still having some issues, my battery is up and I was also using a booster pack and here is what happens..if I jump the solenoid it will spin but not start the mower, if I turn the key it will just click but maybe 1 in 100 times (or more) it will turn over..Should I just get a push button ignition or am I wasting my time thinking it is the ignition switch?? Thanks again all!

·
Administrator
21,220 Posts
jminor--You are having the same problem as the STX38's have.

Go here:

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=95701&highlight=starter+click

There is a starter relay that you can make and put on your machine. Now, if you jump across the solenoid your machine should start, providing you have the key turned on.

Let me know if you have any questions on the starter assist relay.

·
Administrator
21,220 Posts
Congratulations! Glad it worked out for you. Did you find the construction pretty basic and simple? I think that if a guy had a foot of trailer wire with 4 wires, it would make it a lot simpler construction.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts