My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently given an old STX 46 with a kohler 14hp engine in it. It was my granpa's and he thought that the engine had thrown a rod. Well i took it home and cleaned it up and tried to start it and i fianlly got it running. It ran ok but there were no knocking or pinging noticable. I'm fairly new but if it was a thrown rod would it even run? However, when it was running i noticed at full throttle the rpm's would go up and down and i watched the governor control it all. At the lowest throttle setting, the engine would die and any big change of rpm's would generally result in a backfire. DOes this sound like a dirty carb? Would it cause all these problems? ALso, when i'm starting the engine, the engine will stall on the compression stroke and it takes it a while to get it started but i can start it. Is this a automatic compression release problem? Would running a good cleaner through the oil (Seafoam) help this problem? I really want to avoid a engine tear down if possible. Any help would be great.

This is my first time diagnosing a troubled engine and to be honest i feel lost, so if anyone has had any of these problems before, let me know what your solution was.

Thanks!

·
Registered
193 Posts
The fluctuating rpm's does sound like a dirty carb. Also, did it sit long, could the gas be old???

Anyway, congrats on the STX and :MTF_wel: . Another from IL!

:goodl:

AND

:wwp:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It did sit for awhile (4 years) but i do belive the gas was drained from the mower and i replaced it with fresh gas with a bit of carb cleaner in it.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I think you are on the right track with the carb.

·
JD318
990 Posts
Thrown rod = dead engine. Yours sounds fine.
After sitting for 4 years, I would take that carb apart and let it soak for a good day. Starting issues are usually too much fuel or not enough. The hunting & surging suggests a restricted passage in the carb jets. I would get that cleaned up 1st, and see what happens.
I would definitely put Seafoam in the tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts