My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have opportunity to buy an STX 38 for a $100 bucks. I am not sure of its yr. I know the tractor and how it was cared for in the past. Unfortunately the original owner ( a neighbor) sold it to another neighbor who promptly tore out the rear end. My question to the group is
Should I buy it and install an new transaxle (which I can get for about $200 bucks,they cost $370.
This tractor has a bagger ,has always been serviced ,has a new seat,and blades and battery that I install last yr. for my neighbor.
Is it worth doin?
Thanks
Roger
Your thoughts are appreciated.
PS I don't intend on keeping it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My STX is 16 years old and has served my needs perfectly. 3/4 acre all flat. I really see no reason not to expect many more years of service due to how I run it.

Now, $100 with all the new parts. Sure an axle but I say yes!

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
If the deck and hood are in good shape you could make your money back and then some in parting it out. I say go for it. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
774 Posts
I just disassembled one the other day, the transaxle, deck and hood was shot. Has a good engine and other parts though, can't bring myself too scrap anything thats useful.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have an old STX38 and I mow about an acre and have had no real problems at all. If I could find another one for $100 and the transaxle was the only problem, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys
I kinda figured it was a good bet. Its not a done deal yet. But the trans-axle came in this morning. It was $180 plus shipping. DEERE Wants $370 plus tax. I think I did good there. If I can't get the owner to come up off the STX38 at least I get the parts and labor for the swap.
I am like so many others here ,I hate to scrap something that is still usable. This machine can give many more yrs of service for the money invested,considering, if you go to HD or Lowes and price a comparable model, its quite a few hundred $ difference.
Roger
AKA mikethefixitman1

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I've got two Stx's and they serve me and my needs very well. Sounds like you are in the midst of a bargain, so go for it Mike!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts