My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
'99 Crown Vic. Needs a new pitman arm. renatl toll got it off maybe 1/4" and quit. Smoke wrench failed to help. Don't want to get to much heat and mess up the steering gear seals. ended my day. Tomorrow it will come off. Angle grinders are GREAT!

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I used to get it as far as it would go. Then the legs started expanding out. That was plan A. Smoke wrench in addition was plan B. Letting it soak with Parts Blaster over night is plan C. Angle grinder is plan D. Plan E may involve dynamite....

Premium Member
One trick I learned from my dad, is if you have the space, hold a hammer (or something else with a good mass) against one side of the joint, and then hit the joint on the other side with another hammer. It can work the joint loose.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I've used the BFH a LOT on this. As for smacking it on both sides, well, it is on a steering gear under the car with a linkages and stuff in the way. Hard to get to it. But that method works super great on pipe joints and nuts that may be more accessible. I'm about to get out there now and try some more. I plan on trying the puller again, since the joint sat overnight soaked with PB Blaster. this time I plan to snug the puller up, not tight, just to keep it in place. Put a C-clamp on the legs to keep them from splaying. Tighten down severely, then smack resoundingly with the aforementioned BFH. Failing that....it's cutoff wheel time....(gonna really hate the sparks and dust from that)
Thanks for the help
wish me luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Not renati toll, Mark! Renatl toll!!!Sheesh!!!

And....I have no idea. Had to look through all the postings and saw what you were talkin' about. Apparently something went wrong with the quey bored and messed up whatever it was I wuz tryin' to say/type.

I have no idea what I wanted t' say...or what it meant....

Hope this won't mess up my sleep t'night.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts