My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didnt its mother ever teach it not to lie to people? I checked the weather this morning before heading out to the farm. It said that there wasnt anything even in the next county... Got halfway to the farm and ran into a literal wall of rain. :crybaby: Lets go to my uncles and fix his lawnmower... :banghead3 Even harder rain. Great...

Just checked the doppler again and called the farm... radar still says nothing over the area. The farm says otherwise.

Rain rain go away, come again next weekend please?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats weird...explains it though. We're about 100 miles away from the good one. RDU has one, but it sucks. Usually I can see all the way down to about 5000ft though. It was seriously weird man. couple drops...like a mist, than I came around a corner and BAM! Wall of water. It was like God said..."You shall not pass!". Its still raining there, but not here...and we're only 6 miles away.

Did find something to get into...pulled my old show tractor out. See if I cant get it running and skid some logs with it.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
changed setting to where I could see the total storms rainfall, and found it. Played it back starting at 6am and yup... its plain as day. I still blame the doppler, cause if it can see rain, it should be able to see the rain clouds...

·
15,000 +posts!
20,715 Posts
Sounds like where I live--the NWS doppler radar station is 5 miles away,but it often "misses" some real downpours and snowbursts for some reason during bad storms,I guess they just form and pass too quickly for it to "see" them...

This morning and later last night,many areas in MA and north of it got the first snow of the season...all the forcasters kept saying "it will NOT stick to the roads,its too "warm" at the surface--just on grassy surfaces and decks,etc..

SO--why was there a bunch of WRECKS this morning caused by "black ice" and many towns had to SAND the roads??..its like they KNOW its gonna happen,but they just dont want to warn anyone???..it got down to 29 here,didn't snow but frost covered everything this morning,and roads were ICY!...till the sun came out,then it melted almost instantly...

We might get up to 8" of snow tomorrow night further inland from where I live!...its to early,it aint even Halloween yet!..:mad:..

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Noticed that alot at times. Radar doesn't show rain but we are getting a gully washer outside. :banghead3

·
Administrator
11,833 Posts
what's even worse is when i plan to go cut grass and look at the radar showing it is pouring down so i don't go. then i talk to someone later and it never rained a drop!
False echo from a flock of birds over your yard. :D

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
Yeah, blame it on the Doppler. Has anyone ever heard a weatherman admit error? " Boy! I sure screwed up yesterday's forecast, didn't I?"

Has weather forecasting really gotten any better since the weather guy used to draw funny pictures on the weather map? (Besides the weather girl!)

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Here is a typical MD. forecast:

Well folks, at the moment the sun is shining because I can see it through the studio window and its not raining because my Porche is not wet.
Tonight it will be dark with a 99% chance of the sun coming up in the morning somwhere. That will make tomorrows 24 hour forecast for your area as follows-50% chance of darkness followed by a period of light, followed again by darkness.

There could be a chance of some sort of precipitation in the forecast, so if its haling, snowing, raining or some other objects falling from the sky, it will probably be wet. If not, it will be dry. Heat and cold are relative to the person feeling it so the closest we can come is between 120 degrees and -40 Farenheight.:sidelaugh:sidelaugh:sidelaugh

1 - 11 of 11 Posts