My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I have G.A.S.
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was picking up some bearings at a local parts store. Was relieved to be served by a guy older than me who could look up a bearing without having to punch in the yr, make, model, hubcaps y/n, car info.
As he handed the receipt to me he asked, "So whatchya workin on?"
I said, "Old Gravely."
He said, "Real old with 1 wheel? My brother had a nice one & he died last year & I've been thinking of selling it. Come see me Monday, I'll have pictures for ya."
Who knows, could be fun at least.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,318 Posts
That could be a really neat adventure even if you don't score the tractor. I hope you do though. Be sure to get lots of pics. :fing32:

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Give us an update. I agree about getting pics, too :fing02:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Did DB make a one-wheel tractor? I get what you mean, though. I've gone to look at "Gravelys" that were Troy-Bilt, Farmette, etc.

·
Registered
257 Posts
DB made a single drive wheel tractor, but it had 2 front wheels and you road ontop of the rear.

not really a walk behind. the DB walkbehinds were all 2 wheel that i know of.

·
Premium Member
2,731 Posts
Did DB make a one-wheel tractor? I get what you mean, though. I've gone to look at "Gravelys" that were Troy-Bilt, Farmette, etc.

It wouldn't be the first time someone hasn't been able to count the number of wheels properly. Finding a "D" model is the "holy grail" of Gravely hunting so hopefully this pans out for Helix.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yeah, as much as we like to rag on David Bradley, there was certainly grace and elegance to their sheet metal [even if they were hideous underneath it].

They had a very Art Nouveau / 1950s Sci-Fi look which few other manufacturers ever achieved.

·
Super Moderator
13,777 Posts
Yeah, as much as we like to rag on David Bradley, there was certainly grace and elegance to their sheet metal [even if they were hideous underneath it].

They had a very Art Nouveau / 1950s Sci-Fi look which few other manufacturers ever achieved.
You may, or may not also know about these: "Graham Paige" rototillers. Late '40s. Also very "Art Nouveau" like DBs. Heavy duty 2 stroke beasts too.

Google "Graham Paige Tillers" on "Images". You may get some old Graham Paige cars mixed in. Same company. You can also "Youtube" them for a real kick.

·
Registered
376 Posts

If you had one with 15/16 inch wheels, weights and diff lock they would pull a harrow or disc really well. They actually did Nebraska Tests on them.

·
I have G.A.S.
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was finally near the same auto parts store with some extra time today & I stopped in to talk to the old guy. I was told that he passed away a week ago, July 26. Nobody working there today knew anything about him having his brothers Gravely.
Sigh......

·
Registered
209 Posts
I was finally near the same auto parts store with some extra time today & I stopped in to talk to the old guy. I was told that he passed away a week ago, July 26. Nobody working there today knew anything about him having his brothers Gravely.
Sigh......
Two things:

1) 411.com is your friend - it finds just about everybody, even if you don't spell their names quite right.

Point being that you could be a little bit of a jerk and just call up his widow.

Also, if he has children or nieces or nephews in the area, they will almost always show up on 411.com as well.

2) Keep an eye on AuctionZip.com to see if there will be an estate auction.

A true "D" is one of the few items in this hobby for which it would be worth the effort to get a little "creepy @ssholeish weirdo" and make a cold call.

Or write an old-fashioned snail-mail letter, put a stamp on it, and send it USPS.

If there really is a "D" out there [and not just a David Bradley], then it would be a tragedy if it lay there rusting in a field [and if its wooden handles rotted and turned into so much detritus].

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.