My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess this is classified as "stuff". A few years ago I was at an Ag show in Moultrie GA. They had blades for lawn tractors that looked like hay bind blades. There was a round flat piece of steel that bolted to the shaft where the blade would normally go. It was like 9" diameter or so. To that was hooked 4 floating blades per round piece. (3 on my John Deere, 48" deck). Does anyone have a clue what I'm talking about? I've searched the net to no avail.

·
Administrator
21,222 Posts
Hello, Ejstith. I have seen what you are describing a time or 2 in the past, but not recently, and never new, for sale.

I will put a copy of this down in the "Lawn and Garden Tractor Accessories" for lack of a better idea of where you might get more exposure in a more specific place. Good Luck on your quest.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Yes, I know what you're talking about. The question here is "why do you want them". If they were superior to the stock blades, then manufacturers would be all over that design.

Fact is.... they're useless.

Why? Because decks are designed to work with blades that are bent so they SUCK air up from below and then route that air to the discharge chute. This suction causes the blades of grass to stand straight up so they get lopped off evenly to give the lawn a nice finished cut. The grass that gets lopped off ends up in the air stream and fired out the side or rear of the deck, depending upon deck type.

Manufacturer's spend a lot of R&D money on deck design because people will judge their LT's, YT's and GT's on how good a cut they deliver. Every forum on OPE has many threads discussing how well certain brands cut the lawn. But they're always be some backyard inventor that comes along with his so-called improved blade design and tries hawking it in magazines and on the internet in the hopes of getting rich.

You can do whatever you wish but those guys won't be getting any of my cash.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well for one thing I didn't see these on the internet or some magazine. I saw them at a Ag show. Another thing, if the manufactures put so much money in R&D they sure don't do the R&D on Bahia grass. I have used the stock blades and I've used Gator blades and neither one will cleanly cut Bahia grass for more than one time and usually not that long. I know the blades on a hay bind cut like nobody's business and they are made the same way.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Do you mean these?

http://www.meg-mo.com/

Interesting design and pricey. I am also wondering how these blades create any "lift" to stand the grass up to be cut.

EDIT - I watched the video and the trailing edge of the blades is turned up. This may create some lift.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Years ago (yikes, more years than I want to count) my Dad had a Jacobsen with a similar setup. Instead of "free swinging" blades the disc had sickle bar teeth connected around it. (Two or four, I can't recall) But I do remember it also had 2 "lift wings" similar to Snapper's lift kit attachted to the top of the disc to create lift. When the "blades" got dull, you turned them over and used the second edge. Some similar but not the same as Megmow. I do remember that "Jake" did a real nice cut job with that setup on what passed for Pop's lawn. (That "lawn" had never seen a storebought grass seed in it's life but ot was thick as long as the rain held out!:))

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Well for one thing I didn't see these on the internet or some magazine. I saw them at a Ag show. Another thing, if the manufactures put so much money in R&D they sure don't do the R&D on Bahia grass. I have used the stock blades and I've used Gator blades and neither one will cleanly cut Bahia grass for more than one time and usually not that long. I know the blades on a hay bind cut like nobody's business and they are made the same way.
OK... I can understand your blade frustration. Why not put a post on the Backyard forum and ask if anyone with Bahia grass has tried these blades and if so, how did they like them?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you mean these?

http://www.meg-mo.com/

Interesting design and pricey. I am also wondering how these blades create any "lift" to stand the grass up to be cut.

EDIT - I watched the video and the trailing edge of the blades is turned up. This may create some lift.
Yeah, JA thats sort of like what I'm talkin' about. I saw them at the Moultrie AG show which will be coming up in October. I'll go over there and see if I can find them. I just ordered some new Gator blades to do me the rest of this year. Gators are a little better than JD blades and don't cost much more. Thanks for the website, I'm gonna check it out but like you said they are kind of pricey .. Thanks ..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Years ago (yikes, more years than I want to count) my Dad had a Jacobsen with a similar setup. Instead of "free swinging" blades the disc had sickle bar teeth connected around it.
I used to mow my Dad's motel yard (1957,'58) with a push mower that had a flat bar for a blade and had a sickle bar blade bolted to each end. Was probably 20" or 21". Like you said, when it got dull ya just flipped it over and used the other side. Wasn't a bad set up. Didn't have a lift wing on it though ...

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Thanks for the link, jabush! Might just have to get a set for the 318. Turn that baby into a bush hog.

·
MTF Middle-age Poster
179 Posts
They're made by a guy named Roy Megla (sp)? & he does have a booth at Moultrie.
I bought a set for an old Murray, they worked great!
Later I bought a set for a Cub Cadet, & really couldn't tell any difference
in the way the CC cut :( .
The first set used a solid disk, the later set had holes in the disk,
I don't know if the holes made a difference, or if it was the deck design.
I was very pleased with the first set, disappointed with the second.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
I've looked at the megmo system for a couple of years and the only thing stopping me from buying them is the price to get started using them. Maybe next year I will get some and try them. slkpk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts