My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have Mitsubishi 1800D tractor that I bought on Craigslist. I only needed a little tractor because I have 6 acres, and don't really do anything heavy duty. What I didn't know was that this tractor is almost unheard of, and nobody has any parts for it.

My problem is that as I was using it, it started binding up, and eventually stalled out. Now it is stuck in gear, but won't move. I can't get the gear stick out of gear, with or without the engine running. If I start it with the clutch depressed, as soon as I let the clutch out the engine stalls. Also, I can't move the high/Low selector either. I have tried rocking it backwards and forwards, but can't free anything up.
Does anyone have any ideas where to start looking? I really don't know much about tractors!

Thanks in advance
David

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sounds like she’s definitely stuck in two gears. On the shifting levers suspecting they are down in front of the seat. Do they feel tight or loose ? When shifting while engine is off can you hear or feel them going between the gears on your shifting pattern ? It’s possible that the collar that slides on transmission shaft has locked in 1,2 or 3,4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
4,622 Posts
Moved this to the Chinese Tractors section. You will get more exposure there.

When you said small tractor, I took it to be a CUT tractor, someone correct me if I am wrong, thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like she’s definitely stuck in two gears. On the shifting levers suspecting they are down in front of the seat. Do they feel tight or loose ? When shifting while engine is off can you hear or feel them going between the gears on your shifting pattern ? It’s possible that the collar that slides on transmission shaft has locked in 1,2 or 3,4.

Hi, and thanks for responding. The gear shifter is stuck absolutely solid and won't move at all, either with or without the engine running.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That tractor is not unheard of but it is grey market. They can be good tractors but you can't walk into a tractor dealer and get parts. You may find a manual or parts list pfd online if you search for a bit.
Sounds like your shift forks have slipped out of position and you are jammed between gears. You may be able to access the linkage below the shifter boot if it has an access cover. I have not worked on your model so I don't know what you can access without splitting the tractor. Unfortunately you have to split most tractors to do much transmission work. If you have to do this, you will need a garage to work in with either some hoists, cranes, or at least a couple of floor Jack's, and a few jack stands. It is not a small job even on a small tractor, so plan on it taking a space in the garage for a week to month depending on what parts you order. I may be a good idea to replace the clutch and rebuild the transmission so you don't have to do it again soon.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, and thanks for responding. The gear shifter is stuck absolutely solid and won't move at all, either with or without the engine running.

Is there a cover that the levers go thru ? Any pics you can add ?

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts
Hi

I have Mitsubishi 1800D tractor that I bought on Craigslist. I only needed a little tractor because I have 6 acres, and don't really do anything heavy duty. What I didn't know was that this tractor is almost unheard of, and nobody has any parts for it.

My problem is that as I was using it, it started binding up, and eventually stalled out. Now it is stuck in gear, but won't move. I can't get the gear stick out of gear, with or without the engine running. If I start it with the clutch depressed, as soon as I let the clutch out the engine stalls. Also, I can't move the high/Low selector either. I have tried rocking it backwards and forwards, but can't free anything up.
Does anyone have any ideas where to start looking? I really don't know much about tractors!

Thanks in advance
David
Were you in the middle of shifting gears, or just driving along when this happened?

If it came about slowly while you were simply driving, I would suspect it is not a case of grabbing two gears at the same time. That would have resulted in an abrupt halt with drive wheels skidding.

2WD or 4WD ? Has it got the correct tire sizes so both front and rear are turning in sync at the correct speed? Have you tried jacking it up so the wheels can turn freely / independently, relieving any driveline preload?

Did you check the oil level in the trans? Did you then drop the trans oil plug and check for "gray matter"? Grindings, bits of bearings or teeth?

As suggested, if you can, remove the shifter boot and see if you can lift the shifter out. You may be able to move the forks about with a big screw driver?

Would you be lucky enough to have a row of bolts around the top of the trans.... as in removeable top?

·
1,766 Posts

When you said small tractor, I took it to be a CUT tractor, someone correct me if I am wrong, thanks.
Just a heads-up... Mitsubishi is Japanese, not Chinese. :tango_face_glasses:

Agree jacking it off the ground and see if that relieves the bind.

·
21,375 Posts

That tractor is not unheard of but it is grey market. They can be good tractors but you can't walk into a tractor dealer and get parts. You may find a manual or parts list pfd online if you search for a bit.
Just a heads-up... Mitsubishi is Japanese, not Chinese. :tango_face_glasses:

Agree jacking it off the ground and see if that relieves the bind.
Moved again to the Grey Market forum for compact utility tractors (CUT).

·
1,766 Posts
Moved again to the Grey Market forum for compact utility tractors (CUT).
Three stars for you :fing32: (In Japanese "Mitsu" = three, "b(h)oshi" = star, hence the Mitsubishi three-star logo.)
That's just an interesting fact...

·
21,375 Posts
Arigatou. :thanku:

·
1,766 Posts
Actually it was early and I remembered it wrong... Mitsubishi = "Three Diamonds". oi... :00000061:

Anyhow you can upgrade for free. :kens:

:trink39:

·
Registered
163 Posts
That's a 4WD tractor correct? And you had it in 4WD, correct?

It's bound up. Get all 4 wheels up in the air and let it unwind and take the pressure off the driveline, and hope that you didn't break something. They're not like your AWD passenger vehicle-the 4WD isn't meant to operate on any hard surface, even dry ground.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts
That's a 4WD tractor correct? And you had it in 4WD, correct?

It's bound up. Get all 4 wheels up in the air and let it unwind and take the pressure off the driveline, and hope that you didn't break something. They're not like your AWD passenger vehicle-the 4WD isn't meant to operate on any hard surface, even dry ground.
:ditto: suggested this a few days ago and have not heard back.

"2WD or 4WD ? Has it got the correct tire sizes so both front and rear are turning in sync at the correct speed? Have you tried jacking it up so the wheels can turn freely / independently, relieving any driveline preload?"

Hopefully it relieved the driveline preload and resolved the issue.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi

No, this is a 2WD.

At the moment the tractor is stuck on a soft surface and I'm having trouble jacking it up. I'm hoping I can get a friend to help me tow (drag it, since the rear wheels are locked) to some hard ground!

Thanks
David

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Larry - sorry for the slow response. It's a 2WD tractor. I was using it and it just started to get slow, laboring, until it just stalled out. I restarted it after depressing the clutch, but as soon as I let the clutch out it stalled again. Hasn't moved since. I did try rocking it backwards and forwards in case something has jammed, but it didn't make any difference

Given that it "Slowed to a stop" isn't it unlikely to be a jammed shifter? I'm back home for a few days, so I'll unbolt the shifter to see if anything will move. As far as I can tell, it is possible to unbolt quite a lot around the transmission, but I think it's really hard to get gaskets for this tractor, so I'm trying to find out the "mot likely" cause before I start unbolting things!

Thanks
David.

·
2,136 Posts
I would thnk twice about towing it with the trans locked up...it could break you free...but it could more likely break something internal
put some cinder blocks or a stout board under each wheel and get it up in the air

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts
Hi

No, this is a 2WD.

At the moment the tractor is stuck on a soft surface and I'm having trouble jacking it up. I'm hoping I can get a friend to help me tow (drag it, since the rear wheels are locked) to some hard ground!

Thanks
David
Well that rules out one easy possibility if only 2WD,

Stick a piece of plywood or metal under the jack then try lifting it so the drive wheels will spin.

Be very cautious of towing as you may well break what is only binding right now.

If you do try towing, pull in the opposite direction to which you were travelling when this happened. This may reverse what ever torque / preload has built up in the driveline.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts
assuming this is your tractor then as others have said you start by removing the plate with the shift levers. Circled in red. You might get lucky!
Removeable cover........ awsome !

Then you can go fishing in the oil with a long magnet and see what comes out.

Hopefully you find there is still lots of oil......:hide:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts