My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
48 8N Daddy
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
I guess you can tellI'm working on my tractor again. Blew a head gasket so I pulled the head this evening and found out I have three stuck valves on cyls 3 and 4. Any suggestions on how to free them up without tearing the motor all teh way down. On a good note, the cylinders look about perfect and no metal came out when wedrained the 63 year old oil (just kidding but it was pretty nasty) that was in the motor.

·
Registered
48 Posts
read above post om marvel mystery oil, put you some mmo in a squirt an and squirt some in the valve and let it set for a while, ATF will also work , squirt into valve stem opening on al of them and turn over by hand or with starter, until you can get them freed up

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I use BP blaster on them. As stated tap them down with a hammer. Keyword tap not beat. rotate engine so valves go up and down and keep spraying until valves move freely. You can pop the side covers off and with the valve closed work it up and down under the spring with a big screwdriver.
I have run them after freeing them up like this BUT it's probably best after you get them freed up, and while the head is off, to pull the valves clean them stems and seats and relap them. This will also increase your compression.

Kirk

·
48 8N Daddy
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I soaked them in WD 40 over night so I guess I'll see this evening if that helped. They are stuck closed. If I had to guess, I'd say the tractor sat up for a long time. Are the side covers mentioned under the exhaust manifold?

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Yes behind the carb under exhaust manifold.Stuck closed are thougher because you can't rotate the engine all the way around through the compression and exhaust stroke. I have an industrial 8n engine I'm working on now had 3 stuck. Freed up two but the last one is being stubbern. Still soaking.

Kirk

·
48 8N Daddy
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kirk,
What's the difference between an industrial 8N engine and a regular 8N engine? I had hoped to avoid pulling the exhaust manifold off because it's so rusted I'm afraid the mounting studs will strip or break but I guess I have to do what I have to so. On the good side, I'm sort of anxious to see how well it runs after I get this corrected. I figured it had a stuck valve due to a miss but never expected to find three stuck valves. My plan was to add some MMO after I replaced the head hasket but once I opened her up figured I might as well free up the stuck valves if I can. My barn is not set up to pull the entire motor so hopefully I can get them freed up without having to go that route

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
DO NOT use the hammer directly on the valves as you TAP them down, use a block of wood. I have seen TAPPED down valves end up bent because the TAPPER got just a bit carried away.

·
48 8N Daddy
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Roger that John, I figure those things will be about 64 years old withinthe next couple of months and can just imagine what would happen if I used a hammer on a 64 y/o

·
48 8N Daddy
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, I picked up some BP Blaster yesterday

·
48 8N Daddy
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got them freed up (WD 40 worked fine) and they now work just fine by turning the engine. I went ahead and re-did them while I had it torn down. There was a head stud that had been replaced by a different sized all-thread that caused the gasket to leak arounf the number 3 and 4 cylyinder valves and I'm guessing it sat around for a while and let rust set in. Fixed it all while I was in there and hope to have her running this weekend

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
:thThumbsU

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.