My Tractor Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok.. What am I missing here? How about a bit of heat from a propane torch... a squirt of liquid wrench... a few taps wit a brass hammer... THEN try wrench?

·
2,828 Posts
We have not heard from the original poster in a few days...I liked the idea of welding the washer, then nut and trying it...I hope she got it off

·
iamrich
5 Posts
Hi..
So i am wanting to remove and replace bottom drive belt on a Mtd /Yardman ride on lawnmower..
So.. i searched you tube different vids ..and i think i have myself in trouble..
I cant get hex bolt out of drive shaft at front of mower to lower it.. Help!

·
iamrich
5 Posts
Hi..
So i am wanting to remove and replace bottom drive belt on a Mtd /Yardman ride on lawnmower..
So.. i searched you tube different vids ..and i think i have myself in trouble..
There are a number of ways to get the bolt out. You can pick up a set of "Nut Remover sockets" at your local auto store or Harbor freight. These come as a set with different sizes. You would place the closest size that fits over the outside of your bolt and crank counter clockwise on your ratchet. Applying some heat around the outside of your bolt will expand the surrounding metal and will make the bolt move more freely.
You can grind a notch with a Dremel or grinder blade across the top to make a screw slot. One done, you can take an impact screwdriver and hit it so that it turns in a counter clockwise direction, or you can take a chisel and wack one of the slots in a counterclockwise direction.
All of the above can be helped along with spraying the bolt with WD 40 or Liquid wrench a couple of times and leave it overnight.
If all else fails, you can center punch the bolt head, start with a small drill and slowly work towards a bigger one until your drilling out the thread of the bad bolt. If the threads are still good you can just replace the bolt. If not, you can drill out the threads with the next size drill/tap combination and replace with the next largest new bolt. Good luck

·
Registered
37 Posts
There are a number of ways to get the bolt out. You can pick up a set of "Nut Remover sockets" at your local auto store or Harbor freight. These come as a set with different sizes. You would place the closest size that fits over the outside of your bolt and crank counter clockwise on your ratchet. Applying some heat around the outside of your bolt will expand the surrounding metal and will make the bolt move more freely.
You can grind a notch with a Dremel or grinder blade across the top to make a screw slot. One done, you can take an impact screwdriver and hit it so that it turns in a counter clockwise direction, or you can take a chisel and wack one of the slots in a counterclockwise direction.
All of the above can be helped along with spraying the bolt with WD 40 or Liquid wrench a couple of times and leave it overnight.
If all else fails, you can center punch the bolt head, start with a small drill and slowly work towards a bigger one until your drilling out the thread of the bad bolt. If the threads are still good you can just replace the bolt. If not, you can drill out the threads with the next size drill/tap combination and replace with the next largest new bolt. Good luck
Read post #39

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi..
You can remove the 4 engine mount bolts.then you may be able to work the belt off the double stack pulley.make sure the break/clutch is in the park slot first.you may have to remove belt from variator first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If the belt guides are just thin wire or metal, maybe you can bend it out of the way and then back again.

Here is a typical belt routing diagram.

I'm WAY late to the party, my apologies. Wouldn't it have been easier to drop 21 or 22 and go from there? I hope Chickfix got the broken bolt out and isn't all wrapped around the axle of wildfire.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts