My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since I don't see a cab in the frorseeable future I decided to make a way to mount a strobe light. To the south of my house is a curve in the road and when I'm at the end of my drives pushing snow I want to be seen when they come around the curve. I may shorten it a bit. Wanted to get it high enough though to be seen and above my head. As you can see I mounted it to the 3PH rocker.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Re: Strobe Light

Looks good Larry.
Does look a little high, but airplanes will see it also.
Been toying with the idea of putting one on mine, get some real
idiots on my rode in bad weather, sometimes I'm out before light
or after dark.
Won't be long now, we got a dusting last night, then the stories will start.
Always like to read what others have done. ( good and bad)

Jim

·
Super Moderator
15,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

It's all 1/2" black pipe and fittings. I just bought a 5' length from Menards and installed it to see what it looked like but I think I will cut it down some.

·
Registered
656 Posts

Here's my version. It plugs into a 12V socket that I mounted in the "toolbox" to the right of the seat. The mounting system still lets me use the tow hitches. I'll be removing the tow hitches soon and installing a weight box (80 pounds) on the rear for the winter season.

·
Super Moderator
15,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Larry, I'm curious on how you are going to use suitcase weights on the rear with that setup? :dunno:
I thought about that. If I need more weight I'll have to do something else. I have been using a GT225 with just wheel weights and did ok. This X729 ought to be better than thr GT225.

·
Super Moderator
15,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Here's my version. It plugs into a 12V socket that I mounted in the "toolbox" to the right of the seat. The mounting system still lets me use the tow hitches. I'll be removing the tow hitches soon and installing a weight box (80 pounds) on the rear for the winter season.

I like it. Kind of the same idea. The X729 has a 12 volt socket already in the tool box.

·
Registered
464 Posts

Larry, I'm curious on how you are going to use suitcase weights on the rear with that setup? :dunno:
Sure, someone had to ask.

Jerry

·
Super Moderator
15,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Sure, someone had to ask.

Jerry
LOL! It has 5/8 rod running through the 1/2" pipe and just pins to the rocker so iut comes off in 5 minutes.

·
Super Moderator
15,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Doesn't Deere make a rear bolt on hanger for suitcase weights so you don't need the 3PH. Don't know if this would be in the way of that, haven't seen one but thought I saw it in the accessory book.

·
Registered
464 Posts

LOL! It has 5/8 rod running through the 1/2" pipe and just pins to the rocker so iut comes off in 5 minutes.
Ok, I stand corrected.:sorry1:

Now lets talk about what will work for everyone. I noticed that you have some holes in the frame that you have not used. Have you thought about this. Make a strap with holes to mount to the frame. Extent the strap 3/16 or 1/4" thick by about 3" wide and long enough to get the job done, far enough to the rear of the tractor so that the shaft of the pole can also be mounted. Then procede as usual to wire it up. The good thing about this solution is that you can offset the bracket enough to clear the arm on the 3 pt hitch. That should work out fine.

I hope you didn't think me rude to pick on your design.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,560 Posts

Doesn't Deere make a rear bolt on hanger for suitcase weights so you don't need the 3PH. Don't know if this would be in the way of that, haven't seen one but thought I saw it in the accessory book.
Need the click and go brackets then the weight carrier.
This is what I have and trying to think of a clean way
of making a mount for a strobe.
Not a lot of room left after the weights are hung.

Jim

·
Registered
2,189 Posts

Looks good!!:)

·
Registered
2,944 Posts

Always good to be seen!!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I have some side holes on my click and go brackets that hold my 6 suit case weights that I'm trying to come up with a idea on mounting a strobe light bracket.

I just have to make sure it clears the garage door............:ROF

·
Super Moderator
15,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Ok, I stand corrected.:sorry1:

Now lets talk about what will work for everyone. I noticed that you have some holes in the frame that you have not used. Have you thought about this. Make a strap with holes to mount to the frame. Extent the strap 3/16 or 1/4" thick by about 3" wide and long enough to get the job done, far enough to the rear of the tractor so that the shaft of the pole can also be mounted. Then procede as usual to wire it up. The good thing about this solution is that you can offset the bracket enough to clear the arm on the 3 pt hitch. That should work out fine.

I hope you didn't think me rude to pick on your design.

Jerry
Always open to suggestions. I didn't take offense or think you were rude. This was easy to throw together and I posted it in hopes of seeing what some others have done and maybe improve on mine. I didn't tinker with my other Deere's because of work and other commitments. Just used and serviced them. I'm now retired and have this new machine and more time and interest, that's why I joined MTF to see what everyone else does. I didn't post a pic to say, Hey look what I've done as much as hoping to see what others have done. Most everything I have done so far is from ideas I have seen on these forums and the attachments are what others recommended and are using. I'm glad you all responded!

·
Registered
558 Posts
With something that tall - won't you need to brace it? Especially if you were to catch it on something short and have it pull back and whip forward. That would be a big "OW!" if it caught you in the head. Not to mention what it might do to the plastic bodywork.

·
Super Moderator
15,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
With something that tall - won't you need to brace it? Especially if you were to catch it on something short and have it pull back and whip forward. That would be a big "OW!" if it caught you in the head. Not to mention what it might do to the plastic bodywork.
I think I'm going to cut about a foot off it but I checked everywhere I need to go and it clears everything. Like I said earlier, this was easy to throw together and I'm sure I'll be modifying it some down the road.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts