My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a standard yard flagpole that has some lean to it after a few years of getting the full brunt of the country west winds.

I would like to replace it down the road, probably with a telescoping pole, but before I do, I was thinking of strengthening the flagpole. The pole gets a little bendy in the winds.

Since it is a sectional pole, my idea was to place some PVC pipe inside the pole. I probably could not go all of the way up but maybe at least 1/2 to 3/4 up. I was going to pull the pole off at the bottom section and then place the PVC in the top section and then just let the PCV fall back down once I put it together (maybe some tape to hold the PVC for a few minutes).

I figured if I wanted to pole back down, I could just use a hose clamp to hole up the aluminum pole and cut the PVC.

I was wondering if I can make it too strong if and could snap something off?

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
PVC isn't very strong ... if you decide to use it .. go to a electrical supply house and get Sch 80 PVC ... Home depot and Lowe's only carry sch 40 as far as I know

·
15,000 +posts!
20,428 Posts
I'd use at least EMT conduit or chain link fence rail thats 1-3/8" in diameter,if thayts small enough to slip inside the pole--plastic wont be rigid enough I'd think..or 10' lengths of car exhaust pipe,which wont last as long,the EMT and fence pipe I've used to build a CB antenna mast 30' tall,by overlapping it with larger I.D. peices 2' long,and bolting it together,and its held up well ,been up since 1985 and its getting surface rust finally,but I only rattle canned it with aluminum paint once since I put it up,and the pipe was used when I got it...

I ran a length of wire rope alongside the pipe,clamped to the pipe with muffler clamps,it helped avoid bending while raising it,(its mounted on a tilt up base)and from strong northerly winds we often get..I took the guy wires off about 6 years ago when they got rusted,and I'd lost interest in CB'ing..so far the mast hasn't bent yet..

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks...I did not know PVC was not that strong.

I may thing this out a little more and look into some aluminum poles too...I do not want to create a lighting rod!

·
15,000 +posts!
20,428 Posts
You may want to put a ground rod on your flagpole,it'll be better to have that struck by lightning,than your home!..we've lost a TV set and a computer from voltage surges from lightning strikes before here..

MY first CB antenna (and maybe the best one as far as peformance) was one I made of polished 3/4" and 1/2" copper tubing (house water piping type) that I made myself ,if that thing didn't get struck by lightning I dont know what would atrract it more!..we get quite a few severe thunderstorms here,and our property has had a few lightning strikes--one time I saw it hit the flagpole in the front yard 45 feet away from the CB antenna and mast,when I was sitting in my car next to it!..A about soiled myself,it scared me silly..

a few years ago a huge pine tree out in my back yard 75' tall was split in two by lightning,and had it not poured heavily too,it would have probably burnt the woods down..took one whole side of the "Y" shaped tree off!..

My antenna mast has a 6' copper clad ground rod right next to it driven into the ground,and I used a solid 8 ga copper wire to connect it to the mast..its the highest object in the yard too,other than the trees,yet so far it has not been hit by lightning,an exception to the rule lightning hits the highest object most of the time!
..I had to install a "knife" switch on my shortwave long wire antenna I had,that shorts it out to ground when lightning threatens..

I saw one long wire antenna I had glow like neon during a storm one summer night,and a lamp in my bedroom snapped like a spark plug firing and blew the bulb out once too,just like a flashbulb--and it was OFF!..so I dont take chances with lightning ,we must be on a good ground plane here or something,because it seems to hit here or close by often when we get a thunderstorm!..

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
We just put up a 20ft aluminum sectional flag pole made by Valley Forge. The sleeve at the base allows for some movement. I dont think you want a really rigid pole. You need some flexibility during windy conditions. So far with 2 flags on it we havent had any movement of the concrete base.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts