My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Troy-Bilt Bronco 12209 tiller and the handle tends to bend. On the attached IPL, handle part A is braced by support bracket E and F very close to the frame and as a result part A bends. I'm thinking of adding braces between the bolts down by the depth regulator and up by the name plate on the handle. Anyone stiffen up their handle and want to share how they did it?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I added angle iron braces between the depth regulator and the midsection of the handle where K meets A. I also added braces between the midsection and where the frame meets the cowl.

Anyone know what rattlecan paint would be a good colour match for the Troy-Bilt red?

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dredging up an old thread that nobody responded to. Added notation to the pic.
I added angle iron braces between the depth regulator and the midsection of the handle where K meets A in blue. I also added braces between the midsection and where the frame meets the cowl in red.
Everywhere I add a brace is where the new weak spot is. Now I am thinking of adding braces where I have the green line.

Anyone know what rattlecan paint would be a good colour match for the Troy-Bilt red?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In order to be kind to the handle, I've taken to walk beside the tiller rather than behind it. What I do is operate it with one hand on the gas tank and the other on the handle. Now I am conflicted as to whether to add more braces so that I can steer it from behind as intended, or keep operating it from the side where I don't trample on the freshly tilled soil.

I had an idea to install a handlebar in the midsection just behind the motor rather than use the gas tank to steer it. I don't mind adding more weight to it as the extra weight helps, I just need to keep easy access to the gear case cover.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now I am thinking of adding braces where I have the green line.
I changed my mind as to where to add more braces. I used two 1/2" sched 40 black iron pipes in parallel with the original handle terminated with an angle iron cross piece just below where the handle bends. I bolted the pipes where they intersected with the previously added angle iron braces. It feels very rigid now.

All that is left is to paint all the black iron red. Who am I kidding... I have more mods in mind. Thinking of skirting in the sides of the cowl over the tines to reduce soil spilling out the sides.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I finally took apart all the reinforcements to paint them. The angle iron braces I put on in 2010 and the two pipes and top angle iron I put on in 2017. None of it was painted at the time. While I was at it I also painted the guard over the tines.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Looks good. I have a Bronco and handles are way too weak.

Reactions: LLigetfa
1 - 7 of 7 Posts