My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a decent size strawberry patch i started 4 years ago and over the years weeds have been making a foot hold in it.At first i had good luck ridding the weeds!but now its a loosing battle.The strawberry plants have covered most of the area fenced in by them and weeds have made there way into growing very close to the straw plants making it hard to remove then without destroying plants.I have one type of weed that spreads underground and pulling these out is like pulling shallow roots out that destroy every thing in its path.Is there anyway to save this strawberry patch without re tilling the area and starting again? Thanks!! Stan

·
Kubota Cowboy
22 Posts
I would use a spray bottle with 24D and get on your knees and individually spray each weed, once you did that spread straw around the strawberry patch and also on all the walking paths in the patch,

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
A thick layer of mulch will help hold down weeds & control moisture, plus keep the dirt off the berries. I use aged sawdust, straw or ever old news papers (no glossy or colored), will work also. ~~ grnspot110

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help so far!This is my first try with a strawberry patch and hoping to learn from my mistakes.I dont really have any rows anymore!The plants have filled into them!I just have spots to step on when i need to pick or pull weeds.I'm thinking that after this season i should reestablish the rows with the use of a tiller and in the future prevent the strawberry plants from going wild.What would u recommend for space between rows?Here is a picture of the current mess.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Agree on the heavy mulching. I'd replant them in hilled rows 18" apart. I'd also put down a barrier around the perimeter to keep roots from encroaching.

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
When my family had strawberry patches, we planted each row about 12 inches wide. We left a space about 24 inches between each row that was kept cultivated. When the pants started putting runners out ,we trained the runners back into the planted rows. When the plants started blooming, we put straw down to keep weeds down and to help keep the berries cleaner.
Dave

·
Banned
330 Posts
No,nothing you can do except do what we do every 3-4 years,plant new patch. Think they get smaller when they get older too.:drunkie:

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,074 Posts
IF plants get too thick, the sun can not get to the berries so they ripen right. Plant rows North to South for max sunshine. I take the lawn mower with mulching plate in it and mow space for walkways keeping rows narrow and then straw. I made an awful mistake last year and mowed the entire patch after the berries were gone because the foliage was so heavy, boy, did I have to fight weeds then, not doing that again.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
4 years you did good! That is about the outer limit on a strawberry patch. Start fresh with new plants in a different spot so you do not pass on any blight. Hybrid berries do not produce well if you try using runners from your present plants.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
WOW! No matter how you look at it, a Strawberry patch is a lot of work! And most of it down on your knees in the hot sun.
I remember as a kid in Souther MO. picking Strawberries. Its one of those memories I'd like to keep as a Memory and not repeat as a Reality.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Our 8' x 12' strawberry patch is in 4 tiers, facing East, on a fair slope in the house yard! The tiers make it easier to take care of & pick, the East facing lets the sun dry it earlier in the mornings. It's small enough I can just replace the dirt every few years, just haul the old to the garden & haul garden dirt back. And it supplies all the berries the two of us can use!

And it's easy to cover with bird netting! ~~ grnspot110

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Our 8' x 12' strawberry patch is in 4 tiers, facing East, on a fair slope in the house yard! The tiers make it easier to take care of & pick, the East facing lets the sun dry it earlier in the mornings. It's small enough I can just replace the dirt every few years, just haul the old to the garden & haul garden dirt back. And it supplies all the berries the two of us can use!

And it's easy to cover with bird netting! ~~ grnspot110
Show us a photo. My wife is interested in your idea. If it aint too much work.
We have a 60' fence line I might convert to a Strawberry patch if your idea is workable.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
It's divided off with CCA treated 2x8's, been there for over 20 years. The bows are 1/2" CPVC pipe stuck over galv. casing nails on the ends, to hold the bird netting off the plants. This planting is on it's second year. I usually replant two tiers every other year. ~~ grnspot110

Attachments

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,074 Posts
"to hold the bird netting off the plants. "

Where did you get the bird netting? Ours is getting torn up, bought at yard sale years ago.

"WOW! No matter how you look at it, a Strawberry patch is a lot of work!"

I disagree. We have had them for years and I spend very little time on them except for last year when I made the mistake of mowing them after production and weeds got a good start.

Last year we got 40 qts off two rows 25 ft. long. Not as good this year, too much rain for one thing.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Your a buddy, thanks.
It still looks like a lot of bending over.
Maybe if I could find a steepr hill with the middle of the rows facing south?
Did you put the under ground watering system in or a sprinkler system in those bows that hold up the Netting?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
great input gang,and good lookin patch grnspot.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
"to hold the bird netting off the plants. "

Where did you get the bird netting? Ours is getting torn up, bought at yard sale years ago.

Walt Conner
I get mine from www.farmtek.com, you might be able to find it at the bigger plant nurseries.

Thanks stanleyjohn, it died out on us 3 yrs. ago, drought & late freeze, so it's still pretty fresh now. ~~ grnspot110

1 - 19 of 19 Posts