My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Administrator
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are a few pictures of my friends Sears tractor. He decided to swap in a Yamaha Motorcyle engine into it. It's strictly a plow tractor / yard tug so no mower deck involved. With the 3 speed high-low and 6 speed trans. on the engine it has 36 high and 12 reverse gears. It's chain driven to a jack shaft and then belt drive to the rear transaxle. I haven't been able to see it since he got the engine mocked up with the new mounts, he (member RLP) has gotten it moving under it's own power since then. He's still fine tuning the pullies and chain sprockets to get full use of the speed ranges available. It's still under construction, so go easy on the critiquing. He wanted to get it moving to work out the bugs. The exhaust is probably going to be made 2 into 1 and a vertical muffler and stack, the stock mufflers are way too loud. Here are a few pictures from his cell phone that I got from him after we had dinner this evening. Purists beware!

Attachments

·
Sears Fan
1,281 Posts
Does he have any plans for a hood for it? I have always wanted to see a motorcycle or snowmobile engine swap in a gt, so this is neat!

I really like his plan for the exhaust.

EDIT:

I think if he moved the gas tank to the back underneath the seat, and used a fuel pump, he could then cut a hole in the stock hood (you DIDN'T here this from me!) to make room for the engine head. He would have to move the grille forward some, but he might be able to extend the hood.

Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
Biggest problems I would see are the lack of a governor, and no provisions for cooling. (unless he's going to drive really fast!)

I would love to repower with a military surplus Teledyne 32 cubic inch flat-4.

Dimensions:
Length: 191/8 Inches
Width: 205/8 Inches
Height: 153/4 Inches
Weight:
110 Pounds

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
See, I love the idea of a flat 4, but at 32ci, thats not gonna give you much torque, at least I wouldnt think so. If you look at a 7 or 8hp Kohler K, its still a 16-17ci displacement.

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
32 cubic inch is what the big old Briggs 16hp singles displace, IIRC. These Continentals are WAY underrated by the military at 6hp. Real-world values are closer to 18-20 or so.

How do the dimensions compare to an Onan?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Yeah, that engine is going to overheat. I toasted a Honda 4cyl idling and tuning it, I didn't realize how long I had been screwing with the carbs until it started rapping and then died.
Army Surplus Warehouse just south of Idaho Falls has a couple of those 4cyl engines hooked to generators, I don't remember the price they had on them though.

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts
I likes it!

Electric radiator fan for engine cooling?? Would have to have a battery charging session after every long run time?

·
Premium Member
9,676 Posts

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
He beat me to it. I was planing on taking my 1100 Yahama 4 cyl and and putting it in a tractor. At least now I know what it will look like.

The only thing that worry's me is overheating. It should be fine in winter but in summer there might be some issues.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Biggest problems I would see are the lack of a governor, and no provisions for cooling. (unless he's going to drive really fast!)

I would love to repower with a military surplus Teledyne 32 cubic inch flat-4.

This was on ebay a few years back.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
2 questions on the surplus motors. Can you control the throttle and are they air cooled?

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
How do the dimensions compare to an Onan?
Well the 16hp BF/MS is 40ci
The 18hp BG/MS is 49.8ci
The 18hp B48m is 48ci
The 19.9hp B48g is 48ci
The 19.9hp N52m is 52ci
The 24hp T260 is 60ci

Thats some of the ones I know, Onan18 knows more. But Onans have a much larger displacement than the 4 cyl engine

·
Premium Member
9,676 Posts
I am familular with these from My Army days, we used these to power 3kw generators. Yes they are air cooled, and the ones I used were governed for the generatior but there was a way to throttle them down. They are a PTA to start, no provisions for an electric starter, you have to wind a starter rope around the notched pully.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts