My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, not any pics...just curious to if this has ever been done before.

I think it would be pretty neat to have a 90's model 300 I6 in one of these N tractors. I've saw them before with the Flathead V8's, but I'd say that an EFI 300 would have just as much horses, and alot more torque. I know they put the straight 6's on Generators, Welders and saw mills, but why not a tractor?

Can anyone give me some info on this? Thanks for the replies in advance.

Matt

·
Old Guy With Old Toys
1,178 Posts
Well, the straight six caught my eye. So far as the 300 I-6 installation, Johnny Grist of Maple Hill Kansas has one installed in an 8N. Pictures in Originality Guide Ford N Series Tractors by Peterson and Beemer. No reason one of the later FE engines could not be installed. Funk aircraft made the coversion for six cylinder flat head Fords as well as the flathead v8s. So they've been around a long time. I would venture that most engines have been installed in these old Fords at one time. There is a guy in the midwest that installed a turbine engine in an 8n. I was lucky enough to see it at a show in OH several years back. I beleive the same guy has other crossbreeds that include a Ford 351. Marvin Bauman may be the guys name. These installation and the tractors look like factory jobs, no short cuts taken.
Just remember that the rest of the tractor was designed to handle the screaming 25 or so HP at a couple thousand RPM.:fing32:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, if they've put a 351W in one, it has the same Bolt pattern as a 300. I figured that this would be a good tractor motor because it revlines at around 3500-4000 RPM's and makes a ton of torque down low. I've owned three of them in TRUCKS, but thought it would be a really good tractor engine. They remind me alot like a Diesel, just less power but as a plus less weight.

An FE 390 would be a nice conversation piece, though...:greendr:

Thanks for the reply and info

Matt

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
They did have an OHV in line 6 conversion, I have seen pics of them but never one in the flesh so to speak. So it should not be all that much different for the 300.

I am still waiting to see the 2.8 V6 conversion. Last pics of it looked GOOD.

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
That flat head V8 must sound nice, with those straight pipes.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I don't see why a 300 in line 6 won't work in a ford 8n.You could probably find an 8n with a stuck or shot engine pretty cheap. Than comes the work.
I have an industrial flathead 6 in my funk which is about the same length as the 300 give or take. You will have to build a frame make an adapter plate, lengthen the hood(possibly raise the hood if using the same gas tank),radius rods, steering rods,add some type of govenor. If you don't have access to a machine shop or have a good friend with one the cost can add up fast.
The v6 chevy/8n I am buildling is short enought that the hood,steering and radius rods will not need to be extended. I'm putting a pully style govenor on it.
Here are some photos of my funk and the adapter frame for the v6.

Kirk

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like a pretty cool build up, what series V6 you planning on putting inside it? An industrial inline six, is that a ford motor? Is it a 240?

Matt

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
The v6 chevy/8n I am buildling is short enought that the hood,steering and radius rods will not need to be extended. I'm putting a pully style govenor on it.

Kirk
That is what I like so well about your conversion, the hood and everything still looking like OEM.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Yea John even though I have the funk I still think in will be good to have it look like a regular 8n. That is if I can find the time to finish it. I picked up a nice
set of aluminum valve covers and exhaust pipe off a V6 pontiac fiero (not easy to find at a reasonable price). I'm reversing the exhaust manifold so they'll come out the front for a single vertical pipe each side. It's all the little detail that take all a lot of time.
I'm hoping to be done for our sept show but it don't look like it. Too much other stuff keep getting in the way.

Kirk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Marvin Bauman's website has many different conversions, the 351 Windsor conversion you mentioned and others. Even a gas powered turbine hydrostatic drive N. Even a Motorcycle engine in one (Valkyrie). Kirk, I am anxious to see your done.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Sounds like a pretty cool build up, what series V6 you planning on putting inside it? An industrial inline six, is that a ford motor? Is it a 240?

Matt
The motor is a chevy 2.8 v6 out of an 1985 S10 blazer, last year of the carb. You can see it mounted to the 8n trans on photo. Slapped the hood on to check the fit and line up for the axle carrier, which had to be cut and rewelded for clearence of the crankshaft pulley. See photos.
The funk is a 1951 industrial 226 flathead six. Made by ford.

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bet it would be cool to see a big Hudson Commodore straight 8 in one of these, I'd say you'd have to stretch the hood quiet a bit for something like that to slide in there....really I'd be happy just having a regular 9N, used to run one with a bush-hog behind. I like it so well cuz you never had to worry about tearing something up, if you hit a rock or something hard the motor would stall before it would break anything. Just shut the PTO off and fire it back up.

Matt

·
Old 'n Cheap
175 Posts
Having owned two Valkyries I find that 8N Valkyrie just too cool...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Nice build you have going there I have seen a "n" with a Flat Head Convertion I wish I had taken some pics cuz it was wary well done you couldn't tell it wasn't stock the way he did it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They converted this motor to an OHV?

I bet that a 2.3L ford 4cyl will fit pretty good underneath the hood too, and it still has what? 4 times the horsepower that the factory put out? It probably would sound a little different, though. Lol

Matt

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
The thing about the newer engines to remember is that they get their power at a higher RPM than the tractor engine. While it may/does have more ponies they ain't at the right spot on the throttle for optimum PTO/tractor operation. Not that you would notice it that much if you are sportin 3 or 4 times the OEM output.

·
Registered
228 Posts
also not to mention the stress revin one of those little 4 bangers would have on all the moving parts, sure would go pretty fast i bet kinda like this kid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DapHhgnm6CQ (sorry its not a ford but close enough!)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pretty neat little tractor in the vid. That little thing was flying!

This is why I started the thread about the straight 6. It's redline is around 4K RPM's, and it's torque is really down low. I can't understand why they weren't ever put into tractors in the first place. I've owned probably 3 of them, and they've all been really tough engines with gobs of torque down low.

The last one I had I bought with about 190K miles on it and sold it for the same price I gave for it with 241K miles. I was the second owner and the motor never even had the valve cover cracked open on it. I then saw it again for sale close to my mom and dad's house with over 260K, and he wanted four hundred dollars more than what I sold it for! My dad also bought one new in 95 and sold it with close to 200K miles on it a couple years ago, it had the original clutch in it and the only thing he had to change on it was the starter a couple times (bad design, right underneath the exhaust manifold).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts