My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats the problem is I don't weld. Yet. Surprised not more after market options since seems to be a widespread problem.
Thanks

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you have a Heavy Hitch, or other 2" receiver for your 3pt, you can get a cargo rack. I just got one for mine for chains, shovels, etc. I'm going to close in the sides with sheet metal or something so stuff doesn't fall out, and I'm going to add a couple vertical pipes on the sides to hold shovels and rakes. I also used it to hold some extra ballast in a pinch.

This one was $45 on Walmart.com.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
Thats the problem is I don't weld. Yet. Surprised not more after market options since seems to be a widespread problem.
Thanks
probably not big a market for it, as it wouldn't be that cheap, and it would need to mount to a variety of tractors (some with ROPS of varying dimensions, some without, some with cabs). You'd probably need to sell it for a couple hundred dollars, and maybe only sell what, a couple hundred a year? Lots of guys would pass on that, and just jam a shovel somewhere or rig up a pail, or make their own.

Nothing like the present to start learning to fab stuff...

It's a relatively simple project, and not particularly critical that you get all the welds perfect, or even particularly good.

·
Blank Space
3,019 Posts
Nothing above will protect anything from weather. And I definitely don't want anything THAT far out behind me. Turning with the FEL is bad enough let alone having another 4 feet or so behind me.

If you're handy at all, some people get a 3 point 'Carry All' and build a box to mount on it. Some add pipes for long handled tools. But again, none of what I've seen offers any weather protection as most are made of wood (which adds a lot of weight) with no cover.

I'm thinking about a carry all for other reasons, but I may get a footlocker type box to mount occasionally. They are covered and generally weathertight.

·
Blank Space
3,019 Posts
And that would just be for temporary use, on and off as needed when you don't have anything else on the 3 point. I used covered w/p 'ammo boxes' (I hate that term) mounted to the ROPS for smaller items like top link and hitch pins, rags, small flashlight, etc. They work better that the usually included tool, err .... pencil boxes because the lids open to the side so they don't run into the ROPS.

·
Blank Space
3,019 Posts
I don't generally like to make consecutive posts, but another thought. Anything on the 3 point will be limited to when you don't need the 3 point for anything else. Something mounted higher like the first one pictured above will be more useful to many. That can/could be mounted to the ROPS above the rear fenders.

For those of us with Backhoes, that adds another problem though as it would have to be easily removable. Not all that hard to rig up, but more complicated if you want it to hold much weight.

·
Administrator
17,092 Posts
And that would just be for temporary use, on and off as needed when you don't have anything else on the 3 point. I used covered w/p 'ammo boxes' (I hate that term) mounted to the ROPS for smaller items like top link and hitch pins, rags, small flashlight, etc. They work better that the usually included tool, err .... pencil boxes because the lids open to the side so they don't run into the ROPS.
They're called that for a reason and it's uses are part of the reason you have the right to hate the term. The other name you used is also called that for a reason and you'd be lucky if you could get a screwdriver in it. So that would be completely useless.
MikeC

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All good info for me as a newbie. Especially to Flaken for the links on Amazon since I am an Amazon junkie. That very well may be the option I go with.
- Until I have time to learn to weld!

·
15,000 +posts!
20,083 Posts
Metal or wire milk crate with some hardware cloth on the bottom so chains cant fall thru ,work pretty good,and the dirt will fall right thru off the chains..

I need to make some kind of carry rack for my tractors, its tough trying to drive one with a chain saw on the hood and hold it from sliding off..
I put chains in a home made tool box mounted under the seat,I used a piece of a old above ground swimming pool support that is shaped like a gutter on a house,it holds quite a lot of tools too..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts