My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

All ready august, as time flies I start to build a second rear blade for the next winter.

The first one I made was ok for snow and light duty (check my video in my signature), but after seeing rrmccabe :fing32: rear blade, I want to make a stronger one and fix some flaw in my first design.

I’m retired so money don’t flow much and I don’t have access to CNC or other big tools, everything was made with regular power tools (air or electric).

The biggest expand was the linear actuator, I want to buy a good powerful one so I check everywhere on the net.
I could buy one new for few hundred dollars but the spec were too weak.

I hit the jackpot on eBay last week, a bran new $700.00 US dollars actuator made by Thomson for John Deere (#AM133408) Gator rear cargo bed, I pay $130.00 with shipping.:bananapow

The steel come form an exerciser I find on the garbage day :swow: and a neighbor hot water tank.

Enjoy the pics. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
921 Posts
That looks like it's going to be really nice. How wide is it?

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looking forward to another fascinating St. Ladrill project!!

What a great idea to use a water heater tank for a blade.
I'm the type to recycled, I hate throwing stuff that could be use for something else in the garbage. :D

·
Registered
334 Posts
It would be interesting too, to know what lessons you learned from the first version...and what features in this one to make it better.

Fine job as always...looking forward to the rest of the story:fing32:

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It would be interesting too, to know what lessons you learned from the first version...and what features in this one to make it better.

Fine job as always...looking forward to the rest of the story:fing32:
The first lesson I learn is the blade was to light and not enough wide, the second is the tractor and blade can not be one rigid unit, the blade as to follow the difference in height/level of the ground (float).

I get the tractor stuck at the beginning, I jack the rear wheels off the ground before I install a spring to compensate.

Finally the blade as to swivel on the main harm to corrected the attack angle. :)

Attachments

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Your projects always amaze me and looking forward to the finished pics and video of you working it. slkpk

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys for your nice comment. :fing32:

I was doing some preparation whit my 4 1/2 Makita angle grinder yesterday (Saturday) on the piece that will received the actuator, end the grinder die.:maddd:

You can imagine I was not too happy, I hate when a tool brake in the middle of a job.

So I check the grinder and the brush as disappear, start to check on internet to find some replacement parts and at the same time try to remember when I bought it,,,,,,,,,, well after finding that it was in 1988 I drop the search and said to myself "I think is time to replace it"

Do a quick search on Google for best 4 ½ angle grinder and one of the result point to a Dewalt Model: D28402K.

Home depot near my place as it for $99.00, said to the wife, “honey I’m going at Home depot need to replace a tool”, she answer back “Don’t bring back the tools department with you” :tsk: I reply "non-non just the one I need" the answer was "don't B...S... me I know you. :banghead3 :D

So here is it.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
that grinder should give you years of play time---err, i mean use!!! have always liked dewalt tools. looking to be a nice blade there, can't wait to see it when it's done!!!

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
:thThumbsU way to go my friend!
It's looking real good.
I really like the idea of the actuator to "change the angle of attack" lmao
Looking forward to the finished product.

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
looking good, great idea with the 3 height adjustments on the hitch/pivot point.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Do a quick search on Google for best 4 ½ angle grinder and one of the result point to a Dewalt Model: D28402K.
I've got the same DeWalt grinder and I absolutely love it. Works great sharpening blades, and can easily be held with one handle unlike my cheap Craftsman (actually, I bought the DeWalt as a replacement for the Craftsman since it wasn't working for me - not that I have anything against Craftsman, just didn't like their grinders.)

Also, great job on the rear blade. It looks really nice and thanks for sharing the design with everyone.

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
Looking good, but I really hope you have plans to beef up that pivot point from the main bracket where the pin is. It appears that you will just have two small straps that hold the entire blow arm to the main frame. That looks like a very weak link right now. I would add some plate steel that welds along the length of that strap and wraps the entire box tube of the main frame. (add the plates to the inside of the strap arms, and you can keep them in place too.)

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looking good, but I really hope you have plans to beef up that pivot point from the main bracket where the pin is. It appears that you will just have two small straps that hold the entire blow arm to the main frame. That looks like a very weak link right now. I would add some plate steel that welds along the length of that strap and wraps the entire box tube of the main frame. (add the plates to the inside of the strap arms, and you can keep them in place too.)
They are already there but hard to see on the previous pic. :fing32:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 115 Posts