My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced the engine in an older Husqvarna and realized we had lost the PTO clutch pigtail. So I cut the connector ends off, and wired them directly to each other.

Tractor starts, but when the clutch switch is engaged (pulled up), the engine stops and the fuse blows. I thought maybe I reversed the clutch wires, so I disconnected those completely, and it still blows the fuse when switch is engaged.

I assume this means the PTO switch is the issue? It can’t be the clutch since I’ve disconnected it entirely. Or could it be something else?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
7,310 Posts
I would first check over the entire length of the pto wires before replacing the switch, maybe they got pinched/damaged somewhere when you replaced the engine. It would be very unusual for the switch to fail so that it's a dead-short when turned on...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would first check over the entire length of the pto wires before replacing the switch, maybe they got pinched/damaged somewhere when you replaced the engine. It would be very unusual for the switch to fail so that it's a dead-short when turned on...
But if I disconnected the PTO entirely and it still blows a fuse isn’t the issue upstream?

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
7,310 Posts
Yes, I was referring to the wires coming from the pto switch, going to the pto.

It could also potentially (heh, pun!) be a problem with the safety side of the pto switch (pinched/damaged wire), as depending on exactly how it's designed, that side may get +12V, and could be shorting out.

·
Super Moderator
32,422 Posts
I went through this with my sisgers YTH years ago. First are you sure the PTO is good? Had one behave like this when it was bad. Another time it had a chaffed wire that was shorting out on the frame. I ended up putting a fuse holder inline on the PTO wire. That way it did not kill power to the whole tractor when I was working on it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At this point I’m not sure of anything - but I disconnected the PTO completely, so it can’t be that. Good idea with the fuse though.

·
Money Pit
985 Posts
I see your still battling the the old girl.
Ok I kinda think your new engine wiring is different that the tractor. Plug everything back in minus the engine connector and see if the fuse still blows. If it doesn't blow I would guess there's mismatched wires between the engine and tractor. Is there a voltage regulator on the new engine?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see your still battling the the old girl.
Ok I kinda think your new engine wiring is different that the tractor. Plug everything back in minus the engine connector and see if the fuse still blows. If it doesn't blow I would guess there's mismatched wires between the engine and tractor. Is there a voltage regulator on the new engine?
Thanks Dave; honestly I haven't spent as much time on it as I should, since every time I fix something another issue comes up.

By 'engine connector' what are you referring to?

·
Super Moderator
12,066 Posts
Disconnect the pigtails that you connected and isolate the wires coming from the switch ...wrap tape around the ends so they cannot come in contact with anything...pull out the PTO switch and see what happens....if you blow the fuse with it set up like this it is likely a wire that has been chafed and is bare, allowing contact with the chassis...or it could possibly be the switch...to find out if it is the wire ...disconnect it at the switch...you already have them disconnected at the other end....now set your multi meter to continuity test and touch one lead to either end of the wire ....the other lead to the chassis....if you have continuity....it is grounding out somewhere...try this on both wires

1 - 12 of 12 Posts