·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Husker Tractor 18.0 42" 13AP698G731 4494031

Engine Info:

31H7770235E1

031211ZE99357

My mower won't start. I was sent some info from a member here to test it and see what the problem might be. I thought it was the starter, but when I went to order a replacement, the guy at the place tested it and said it was working. SO.... I got home and put it back on, then went back to the tests I was given by the member here. Here's part of what Walt said to do as far as testing.

"Use an old screw driver to jump between the two large terminals on the solenoid. Place the screw driver filmy on one terminal, stab the other terminal firmly. IF starter runs, battery, battery cables, battery cable connections, starter are OK. Now use a small jumper between the solenoid terminal that the battery cable connects to and the small terminal on the solenoid. IF starter runs, problem is safety wiring or ignition switch. IF solenoid click but starter does not run or solenoid does not click, solenoid is bad OR solenoid ground is bad."

When I try to jump across the solenoid terminals with a screwdriver, the starter does now try to turn. But it doesn't actually start. I get a lot of smoke, but that's all. Walt mentions a "small jumper". What is this" ALso, when I did the screwdriver thing I got no sound from the solenoid, so do I still need to do the small jumper trick?

If I'm still doing something wrong I'd sure appreciate the advice on what to do properly.

Dave

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Moved out of Intro Forum so you can get more help:fing32:

·
Registered
246 Posts
The jumper is just a piece of wire. Put it to the positive terminal of the battery, to the small terminal on the bottom of the solenoid, if it cranks its a problem with the key, or safety swithes, if it doesnt crank its a bad solenoid. Did you check the fuse?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I have a little bit more info to add now... Just went back out and checked the mower... turns out I didn't have the parking brake engaged, so that's why it did nothing. (DOH!)(YOu can tell I know pretty much nothing about this stuff!)

So I put my foot on the brake, turn the key, and the starter tries to crank.... and suddenly I'm getting a bunch of smoke from the big bundle of wires down there between the solenoid and the starter. I immediately turn the key off.... but does this help narrow down the problem?....

Dave

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Yes, you have a serious wiring problem. Get a schematic and start tracing wires. Look for mouse damage (bare wires touching stuff they shoudl not touch).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
D Dogg... thanx for the reply. I'll see what I can see. If I can't figger it out, looks like I'll have to haul this thing off to a professional and let him have at it. Would sure like to be able to do this myself, though...

Dave

·
Registered
246 Posts
I had that problem once, almost burnt the mower down! I had to re-wire the whole thing. I just did it free hand, but im sure a diagram would have helped. Good luck.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
D Dogg... thanx for the reply. I'll see what I can see. If I can't figger it out, looks like I'll have to haul this thing off to a professional and let him have at it. Would sure like to be able to do this myself, though...

Dave
Say, you had blue smoke when you jumped it with a screwdriver? and when using the key? And you removed and replaced the starter? Check the read cable you attached to the starter. The lug may be contacting metal other than the terminal (you oriented it incorrectly, or it rotated as you tightend up the nut).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just checked the mower again. There is a green wire that attaches to one of the bolts on the solenoid, and the other end appears to ground to the chassis, passing through the bundle of wires. The insulation of the wire is melted, so it obviously got very hot. Not sure if it was touching anything or not. I had removed the solenoid and put it back so maybe that wire's not supposed to even be on that bolt... I don't have a diagram for this tractor as it's used and I didn't get anything like that with it so I'm not sure what's correct. Silly me didn't draw anything like a diagram before I removed it. I know, bad move, but I honestly thought I'd remember it at the time...

Dave

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Are there two small lugs on your solenoid? If so, polarity matters on the newer solenoids so look for a + and - on the two little lugs.

You need of course to replace this melted wire.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No + or - anywhere on the solenoid at all as far as I can tell. And I've got it right here in front of me with a lamp-magnifier....

The way it was connected, if this tells you anything, was it was on the terminal opposite of the one that the battery cable was on.

Dave

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
No + or - anywhere on the solenoid at all as far as I can tell. And I've got it right here in front of me with a lamp-magnifier....

The way it was connected, if this tells you anything, was it was on the terminal opposite of the one that the battery cable was on.

Dave
The big terminal opposite the battery cable? That's definitely incorrect. Let me clarify. Does it have two spade type connectors and two threaded logs? Or two threaded lugs and one spade type connector?

I believe this green wire connected to ground on one end should have gone onto the bolt which mounts your solenoid to the tractor, and serves as the solenoid's ground.

The lug where the starter wire connects should have only the starter wire on it.

I think you may be lucky and you have not fried anything other than this ground wire.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The solenoid has one spade connector and two threaded lugs. And yes, it sounds by your description that I had the green one on the wrong lug. But I'm a bit confused. You wrote:

"I believe this green wire connected to ground on one end should have gone onto the bolt which mounts your solenoid to the tractor, and serves as the solenoid's ground."

If one end of the wire goes to the mounting bolt, the other end goes to the chassis (This wire has not been removed). But shouldn't that end of the ground wire that I had mounted wrong go to the other lug?

Dave
Confused in TX

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Nope, one spade connector is the 12v from your ignition switch. One lug connector is 12v from the battery (and may have a red wire from the alternator). The other lug connector is 12v to the starter.

Your solenoid has a flage with two holes to mount to some part of the tractor. Since your green wire has a round lug big enough to fit incorrectly around the starter lug connector and the other end is connected to the chasis or frame, that tells me you likely moved it from the solenoid mounting bolt to the starter lug the first time you had the solenoid loose.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That is exactly what happened. I'll score some wire tomorrow and replace that green one and see where I am at that point. Maybe the starter was just stuck before I removed it because at first I couldn't move the gear. Lubed it with some lubricant and it moves freely now, so maybe that will fix this thing. HOPEFULLY.... I'll definitely let y'all know how it goes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I appreciate your effort on the manual, but unfortunately, my computer cannot recognize the file, so I'm outta luck there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Still not starting. When I "jump start" the lugs on the solenoid with a screwdriver, the starter does turn. I used a jumper wire to connect the lug on the battery side of the solenoid to the small spade terminal. The solenoid clicks but the starter does not turn. According to the info provided my MTF Member Walt, this means either the solenoid is bad or the solenoid ground. Not sure what is meant by "solenoid ground" - would it be where the solenoid mounts to the frame of the tractor or the wire I had that melted the insulation. I have since fashioned a new wire and mounted it to the correct locations. I turned the key this morning and it acted like it wanted to start but didn't have enough power to turn the engine over, so I put it on the charger. Had to go to work, but took it off the charger before leaving. When I got home, I turned the key and the solenoid just clicked. Any ideas or suggestions? I have it on the charger right now but just tried it and only got a click.

·
ordinary average guy
1,521 Posts
definitely not the ignition. the clicking sounds like battery to me. check battery voltage....should get 13.5-14.2 with a full charge.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts