My Tractor Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
slow wrench;said echo good tools.if you have 22yr. echo imagine may be satisfied. last echo carburetor i bought was for `95 power pruner,that when called technics power pruner from idaho.carb. wouldn`t idle slow enough anymore for chain not spin.unsafe. cost$55+-,,,in08-10.also in `15 bought new ppt280 w/ extension and upgrade 14" bar.old ext and new don`t mix.anyway,only 1 echo carb.did you shop for new carb?forgot;echo bought technics.....,,,,,have 3 different sized stihl saws,echo`s too. bunch other stuff.----you mentioned ruined carb.,old fuel or something else?sorry all out of order,watching bit of spurs/thunder game,dinner too.
Michael33 my PB 1000 was having a problem start, run and die,bought a rebuild kit,read a post about soaking a carb body in warm water on stove top with a heavy dose of pinesol in mix .Big mistake for this type of carb.It looked like brand new,but I believe the heat disfigured an internal rubber check valve and carb will no longer prime itself.I ruined a classic techumseh blower, at the same time ,same thing.I did not try that hard to find new carbs,bought a Echo 250 L\N instead and try to forget about what I did.

·
Registered
107 Posts
guess that`s life sometimes.actually never heard of stove boiling before .the things i learn on here.and only known about mtf. for 3-4 weeks now.also learned sometimes play with old carb. multiple times w/o success,see no reason why either,than enough is enough get new one.$55 less than 10percent of power pruner.much higher percentage of tiny blower,i do what you did on that one too.not familiar with classic tecumseh blower.

·
Registered
972 Posts
guess that`s life sometimes.actually never heard of stove boiling before .the things i learn on here.and only known about mtf. for 3-4 weeks now.also learned sometimes play with old carb. multiple times w/o success,see no reason why either,than enough is enough get new one.$55 less than 10percent of power pruner.much higher percentage of tiny blower,i do what you did on that one too.not familiar with classic tecumseh blower.
Sorry,its a HOMELITE HB 390 classic -stove top warm water,not boiling.

·
LBAD Victim
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I have a Stihl FS85 weed-eater, that is 15 years old, and still going strong.
- I'd be now inclined to buy 20V bare tool from Dewalt
- since I already have their premium Drill/Driver combo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCBL720P1 20V MAX 5.0 Ah Lithium Ion XR Brushless Blower
Overview Model # DCBL720P1 Store SKU # 1000827577

The DEWALT DCBL720P1 20V MAX Lithium Ion XR Brushless Blower (5.0 Ah) uses an innovative axial fan design that maximizes on air output and run time. The variable speed trigger and speed lock give the user maximum control of the blower, with performance up to 400 cubic feet per minute of air volume providing and 90 MPH of air speed. This blower features a lightweight and ergonomic design (7.1 lbs.), along with low noise performance (61 dB). Includes: DCBL720 Blower, 20V MAX 5Ah Lithium Ion Battery, Charger.

Brushless Motor maximizing motor efficiency and durability
Innovative axial fan design that maximizes on air output and run time
400 CFM and 90 MPH performance
Variable trigger and speed lock
Includes 20V MAX 5.0Ah Lithium Ion Battery and charger
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p....NdDreZI3J9I28ExAfOX42I8g9KSHYpLwVcaApVk8P8HAQ

Thanks! I like the idea of a battery unit, but I have a mowing service, so I need the ability to fuel up and go with out the charge time. Now if it was just for personal use, I would have purchased it before I got the Craftsman, but it just wouldn't work for me. Thanks for your insight, though!

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,757 Posts
Thanks! I like the idea of a battery unit, but I have a mowing service, so I need the ability to fuel up and go with out the charge time. Now if it was just for personal use, I would have purchased it before I got the Craftsman, but it just wouldn't work for me. Thanks for your insight, though!
Check this out I found it on youtube betcha it'll work better than any Stihl or echo blower out there!

·
LBAD Victim
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,757 Posts
Now that is a leaf blower! Just one problem: My gate is only 32." Wouldn't fit, but AWESOME!!
That's an easy fix hook the 332 up to the gate and pull it out of the way.:thThumbsU:greendr: they actually used to sell those blowers with like a 5hp Briggs on them and they where mounted on a little cart that could easily fit through your gate.

·
LBAD Victim
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
That's an easy fix hook the 332 up to the gate and pull it out of the way.:thThumbsU:greendr:

But then I have an even bigger issue: angry mom and dad. Angry mom + angry Dad= NOT fun:)

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,757 Posts
That's an easy fix hook the 332 up to the gate and pull it out of the way.:thThumbsU:greendr:

But then I have an even bigger issue: angry mom and dad. Angry mom + angry Dad= NOT fun:)
Just tell them you'll build them a bigger one in all the spare time you'll have since you'll be blowing with a 332. :thThumbsU:trink39:

·
LBAD Victim
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Well, I got a new blower!
My neighbor GAVE me a brand new Stihl BG 55!!! The story is that my neighbors father bought it, but couldn't pull the cord, so he gave it to his son. But his son has three blowers already, so he gave it to me. It is super lightweight, and reliably starts within 3 pulls every time. Thanks for the comments you guys made!

Reactions: 1652

·
LBAD Victim
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
And that Stihl broke now too. I was going to just sweep, but my local dealer gave me a great deal on a PB255LN, and I am THRILLED, and I love it. I was able to get it for $159, so good deal. It is easy to start, powerful, and quiet.

·
LBAD Victim
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

·
Premium Member
11,500 Posts
...by a running lawn mower!

Mike

·
LBAD Victim
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,401 Posts
I've got a very old Echo blower. It's been through the mill. It was dropped off a roof and the housing was cracked. The duct tape isn't really to hold it together, rather to restrict the air leakage from the crack which was cutting down on the effectiveness of the blower. It starts extremely easily, but unfortunately the jet screws no longer hold their place, so I end up adjusting the high jet screw about once per tank of gas. Hence, I have a small screwdriver tucked into the shoulder strap (you can see it in the picture).

I decided that inconvenience was just enough to replace this 20+ year old Echo, and as I looked around, I decided on the Stihl, and went with the SH-86C. I caught a nice sale, and decided to give the added feature vacuum/shredder/bagger a shot. Everything works exactly as you would expect. But, I have to admit, I haven't used the vacuum/shredder/bagger in over a year. It's an inspired idea that I just don't find useful to me. Now, I have some very specific thoughts on the Easy Start feature. I personally think it is mis-named. It certainly is easy to pull the rope, but it takes me on average 4 pulls to start. My old Echo starts on second pull reliably. So, I am unimpressed with EasyStart, and suggest it should be called EasyPull. Just my 2¢. The blower mechanism in both is terrific. As has already been mentioned, the Echo pull rope is on the right, making it easier to pull right handed, the pull rope on the stihl is on the left, forcing a kind of cross hand pull, or I suppose you could approach the thing with the blower nozzle back through your legs. Seems awkward. All things considered, I will certainly keep the new Stihl. I've had it a couple years now and use it to clear the gutters on a weekly basis during the leaf season, to do rough clean outs of my garage, to clean the dust and debris off my tractor after every mow, and to blow off a 1500' driveway. I moved the old taped together, screwdriver attached Echo to my shed where it serves to blow off equipment after use, and the occasional blow-out of the shed.

Bottom line, both companies make a great small engine, and quality components for their blowers. If you have a local dealer of one vs the other, I'd chose the local dealer's offering. If like me, the local dealer offers both, then shop features and price.

Good luck
Is quoting yourself a bad sign?

Well, here I sit about 8 years after purchasing the Stihl SH86-C. I had converted to shred/vac exactly one time in those 8 years and while it worked, and I was able to clear the leaves that collect in my basement stair well, it took longer to convert than it would have to just lift the leaves out with a pair of lawn rakes. Coupled with my reminder on every use that the start seemed to be on the wrong side, and the number of "easy" pulls just growing - I put it on CL for an inflated price and someone called my bluff and rolled in with cash.

So, I am back in the market for a new blower and faced with even more choices than before. They consist of:

• Replacing with a Stihl BG-86 (no C nor CE for good old fashioned start) This would basically be the same blower I had without the "Easy2Start" and without the shredder I didn't use.
  • Stihl BG-56 a Cheaper version of above
  • Echo 2620 which I consider designed for right handed start, and with a double shroud on the intake side easy enough to operate without sucking your pant leg in.
  • Echo 2520, pretty much the same engine as 2620 but with larger fuel tank and a metal reinforce on the blower tip.
  • One of the battery blowers, probably the Stihl
  • One of the rare and getting rarer 4 strokes on the market.
In the interim, I've refreshed the duct tape on my old Echo with some shiny new gorilla tape, replaced the air filter and inspected the spark plug. It is actually a pleasure to start, and working well enough for this time of year. Won't stand up to my needs once the leaf season starts.

So, any recent updates from any of you folks on what you are finding most useful?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,500 Posts
I still have my Echo PB751T backpack blower. That needs fuel delivery work (lines, filter and possibly carb). Was running perfectly until this spring.

For hand-helds, I have an old electric Weed Eater (rescued from my Grandfather's basement last year), and a new (unused) electric that I picked up in the fall for my boys to help.

I also have a Black and Decker cordless, but the batteries are all dead and won't hold charges. I used to use that to clean off the tractor after mowing.

Mike

Reactions: Jere39
21 - 40 of 40 Posts