My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
LBAD Victim
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!
I am in the market for a new leaf blower after my Craftsman 25cc bit the dust. I am torn between the Echo ES 250 and the Stihl SH-56 C-E. They both have relatively same features, but the Echo is pricier. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
11,500 Posts
I don't have either of those specific models, but I do have an Echo backpack blower which has never let me down, even starts and runs on old gas. :hide:

Mike

·
Super Moderator and over 6K Posts!
6,107 Posts
I have an old Echo PB200 from 2006 that I bought used and it has performed flawlessly. Have not had the chance to use a Stihl. Just curious what the weight is on both units you are looking at. Bill

·
Registered
68 Posts
I work at a dealer that services Stihl and Echo, both units mentioned can handle years of commercial service if properly maintained. Only major difference is the side the air inlet is on, most of the units I see are set up as blowers not vacs so not sure about handling them, but if you are right handed an Echo blower tends to suck in your pants (reverse applies to Stihl)

·
Super Moderator
16,914 Posts
I currently have/use a Stihl BG75 that I lucked up on @ an friend's estate sale.
Replaced the starter rope once, and just did the little tune-up kit on it--but runs and starts excellent. Weight is good, also.
One handy little yard tool, in my estimate...Mine now has a lot of hours on it--but I always use 93 octane or better gas--with good mix.....

·
外人Geezer MTF Member
2,218 Posts
In my opinion, is about flip a coin on those two brands. Cannot go wrong.

·
LBAD Victim
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of the replies! I do believe I will be going with the Stihl. I had a BG55, but it broke after just 3 years of light use. I am a fan of the easy2start on the Stihl because my current blower hurts my back to start unless I start it when it is on a work bench. I currently use a Craftsman 25cc 210mph blower from 2015 that I bought with my birthday money. I know see why it was on sale. Should have gone with the Stihl sooner. Thanks again for the help!

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,757 Posts
Thanks for all of the replies! I do believe I will be going with the Stihl. I had a BG55, but it broke after just 3 years of light use. I am a fan of the easy2start on the Stihl because my current blower hurts my back to start unless I start it when it is on a work bench. I currently use a Craftsman 25cc 210mph blower from 2015 that I bought with my birthday money. I know see why it was on sale. Should have gone with the Stihl sooner. Thanks again for the help!
I would go with Stihl thats not to say Echo isn't reliable they are trust me they are I got a weed eater for free by someone and it had been under salt water for like a week from a hurricane we had and guess what I brought it home put fresh gas in it it fired right up and ran decent but due to the salt water the bearings and a few other thing where toast so I tore it apart and haven't had the time or money to re assemble it.

·
LBAD Victim
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would go with Stihl thats not to say Echo isn't reliable they are trust me they are I got a weed eater for free by someone and it had been under salt water for like a week from a hurricane we had and guess what I brought it home put fresh gas in it it fired right up and ran decent but due to the salt water the bearings and a few other thing where toast so I tore it apart and haven't had the time or money to re assemble it.
Yeah, their weed eaters are nice. I like the long shaft on the straight shaft models. I am 6'1" and the extra 4" compared to the stihl shaft is makes all of the difference. I have always wanted an echo SRM 225, or a 2400SB, but the Stihl I have now works just dandy, so I will use it until it drops dead.

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,757 Posts
Yeah, their weed eaters are nice. I like the long shaft on the straight shaft models. I am 6'1" and the extra 4" compared to the stihl shaft is makes all of the difference. I have always wanted an echo SRM 225, or a 2400SB, but the Stihl I have now works just dandy, so I will use it until it drops dead.
We also have one of the Stihl 4mix interchangeable attachment trimmer I forget what model it is but its pretty sweet with the chain saw bar on the end. i have used it for weed eating and things of that nature and I'm 6'3" and I can run it without any trouble. Tell you what I really want though is a Stihl 026 chainsaw or maybe an 028 wood boss. Im actually going to a farm expo tomorrow and they're going to have all kinds of Stihl stuff there.

·
Registered
107 Posts
don`t have hand held blowers only multiple backpacks.like bigger stihl cain saws cut of saws,but not fan of 4 mix hybrid type engines though are fuel efficent,for instance br600 blower.had problems,stihl was wonderful on warranty claim replacing engine,twice.1st. question 1800 go stihl asked me was what mix i used. said stihl ultra/prem fuel.and they can tell.you to can see difference of various oils run ONLY 500hrs.then photos of inside parts.ultra rocks.pictures 1000 words.full synthetic for all 2cyc.small engines.even my2005 toro powerlite snowblower loves that stuff.have more stihl echo tools than would fit in space.blower wise though red max ebz8500 backpack blower is still most bad a-- blower on planet. also husqvarna 580? orange.(husqa bought red max while back/echo bought shindaiwa)4 mix engines also need valve gap adjustments.actually still have 2004 pb651t backpack.runs perfect,starts cold 2 pull,hot 1 pull.run dry in january.little engines hate old fuel.waiting for someone to be new backback blower king,i`ll most likely get those too.shortest life of my blowerswas in 90`s,stihl br400 carb,ignition.4or 5 yrs.then others offered more performance.realize you don`t make livelyhood with these tools,therefore with proper maintenance and not dropping it could last for decades.my premium stuff runs more in 1 season than homeowner(diy)in30-50 yrs.unrealistic that entry level tools last same,though should provide satisfaction for yrs.if not neglected.almost forgot to mention inearly spring stihl (some)will have pro,turf,contracter day/s ,open houses 10percent,,,echo20 percent spring/fall.me ap`16590saw,fall3020hed/tr.

·
LBAD Victim
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good to know. I will probably go for one when they are on sale.

·
Registered
107 Posts
i`ll try and remember when echo/shindiawa mails me those announcements.each retailer generally has specific day or two(commercial store)in my area starts march thru april. factory reps often at events.further south usa. imagine season starts sooner further so.or s/w one located.suggest contact local stores and or web site,perhaps promoting/marketing 20/10 percent savings.of course,it`s only money unless it`s mine.i like value.further last 2 are apr.`16 590 chainsaw/timberwolf-20"..msrp$$400=320+tx. echo....then nov.16 hc3020hedge trimmer$520=$416+tx. see if like ; echo-usa.com hand held blower ,+-$30-50 savings/discount.moves up a level/model.same cost.works for me.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I would like to get something STIHL,maybe a chainsaw,if my Echo CS 4600 20in.chainsaw wears out.(22yrs. old).I recently ruined the carberator on my 22 yr. old PB1000 Echo Blower.Stihl is sorta made in AMERICA ,thats good.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I have a Stihl FS85 weed-eater, that is 15 years old, and still going strong.
- I'd be now inclined to buy 20V bare tool from Dewalt
- since I already have their premium Drill/Driver combo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCBL720P1 20V MAX 5.0 Ah Lithium Ion XR Brushless Blower
Overview Model # DCBL720P1 Store SKU # 1000827577

The DEWALT DCBL720P1 20V MAX Lithium Ion XR Brushless Blower (5.0 Ah) uses an innovative axial fan design that maximizes on air output and run time. The variable speed trigger and speed lock give the user maximum control of the blower, with performance up to 400 cubic feet per minute of air volume providing and 90 MPH of air speed. This blower features a lightweight and ergonomic design (7.1 lbs.), along with low noise performance (61 dB). Includes: DCBL720 Blower, 20V MAX 5Ah Lithium Ion Battery, Charger.

Brushless Motor maximizing motor efficiency and durability
Innovative axial fan design that maximizes on air output and run time
400 CFM and 90 MPH performance
Variable trigger and speed lock
Includes 20V MAX 5.0Ah Lithium Ion Battery and charger
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p....NdDreZI3J9I28ExAfOX42I8g9KSHYpLwVcaApVk8P8HAQ

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,757 Posts
i`ll try and remember when echo/shindiawa mails me those announcements.each retailer generally has specific day or two(commercial store)in my area starts march thru april. factory reps often at events.further south usa. imagine season starts sooner further so.or s/w one located.suggest contact local stores and or web site,perhaps promoting/marketing 20/10 percent savings.of course,it`s only money unless it`s mine.i like value.further last 2 are apr.`16 590 chainsaw/timberwolf-20"..msrp$$400=320+tx. echo....then nov.16 hc3020hedge trimmer$520=$416+tx. see if like ; echo-usa.com hand held blower ,+-$30-50 savings/discount.moves up a level/model.same cost.works for me.
Come again?

·
Registered
107 Posts
slow wrench;said echo good tools.if you have 22yr. echo imagine may be satisfied. last echo carburetor i bought was for `95 power pruner,that when called technics power pruner from idaho.carb. wouldn`t idle slow enough anymore for chain not spin.unsafe. cost$55+-,,,in08-10.also in `15 bought new ppt280 w/ extension and upgrade 14" bar.old ext and new don`t mix.anyway,only 1 echo carb.did you shop for new carb?forgot;echo bought technics.....,,,,,have 3 different sized stihl saws,echo`s too. bunch other stuff.----you mentioned ruined carb.,old fuel or something else?sorry all out of order,watching bit of spurs/thunder game,dinner too.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,401 Posts
I've got a very old Echo blower. It's been through the mill. It was dropped off a roof and the housing was cracked. The duct tape isn't really to hold it together, rather to restrict the air leakage from the crack which was cutting down on the effectiveness of the blower. It starts extremely easily, but unfortunately the jet screws no longer hold their place, so I end up adjusting the high jet screw about once per tank of gas. Hence, I have a small screwdriver tucked into the shoulder strap (you can see it in the picture).

I decided that inconvenience was just enough to replace this 20+ year old Echo, and as I looked around, I decided on the Stihl, and went with the SH-86C. I caught a nice sale, and decided to give the added feature vacuum/shredder/bagger a shot. Everything works exactly as you would expect. But, I have to admit, I haven't used the vacuum/shredder/bagger in over a year. It's an inspired idea that I just don't find useful to me. Now, I have some very specific thoughts on the Easy Start feature. I personally think it is mis-named. It certainly is easy to pull the rope, but it takes me on average 4 pulls to start. My old Echo starts on second pull reliably. So, I am unimpressed with EasyStart, and suggest it should be called EasyPull. Just my 2¢. The blower mechanism in both is terrific. As has already been mentioned, the Echo pull rope is on the right, making it easier to pull right handed, the pull rope on the stihl is on the left, forcing a kind of cross hand pull, or I suppose you could approach the thing with the blower nozzle back through your legs. Seems awkward. All things considered, I will certainly keep the new Stihl. I've had it a couple years now and use it to clear the gutters on a weekly basis during the leaf season, to do rough clean outs of my garage, to clean the dust and debris off my tractor after every mow, and to blow off a 1500' driveway. I moved the old taped together, screwdriver attached Echo to my shed where it serves to blow off equipment after use, and the occasional blow-out of the shed.

Bottom line, both companies make a great small engine, and quality components for their blowers. If you have a local dealer of one vs the other, I'd chose the local dealer's offering. If like me, the local dealer offers both, then shop features and price.

Good luck

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts