My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sitting here with ice on my lower back, I decided I might as well do a review on this saw.

-Background:
I wanted a saw that I can use while I'm trying to straighten out the rest of what I have currently(042AV, 041 Farmboss, 08S, couple of echos and various homelites). My god-uncle has the MS250C, which I've used a couple times and it's surprisingly fairly (to me) powerful. So I decided, why not go with the MS251C?

Plant Wood Grass Tree Landscape

Managed to find this one in fairly good shape, decided to give it a try today. Paid around $255 for it, including shipping.

Observations:

-General:
Is nowhere near as heavy as I thought it was going to be. Easy to get to the air filter/spark plug for servicing, i will need to get a new air filter soon. Should've gotten pictures of the plug but it looked fairly good.

-"Easy-Start"
The "easy start" system was tricky to figure out on this one.
On my god-uncles 250C, when I pull the cord it'll spin over fairly quickly after it's fully retracted. However, on my 251C, when the cord retracts, it'll spin REALLY slow, but if I (gently) pull constantly, it'll spin over fast and kick over. Could be the mechanism on mine is messed up internally, or I'm not doing something right still. Not a major issue to me but I'll look into it later on.

-Running:
When cold, 3 primes of the purge bulb, on choke, took 3-4 pulls to start. Not bad to me. Went right to idle, let it warm up for about 5 minutes before cutting. Started right back up after shutting down when warm.

I think it'll cold-start a bit easier if I use it often.

-Cutting:
It's just like the 250C, cuts well. Only issue I had was the chain came loose and slipped off...but I think that was because I didn't have the quick adjustment (I think that's what it's called?) tight enough. Took me a bit to figure out how that worked too, but I think I have it where it won't go flying off again. I'm going to be getting an extra bar/chain for this as well.

Overall, out of a rating of 10, I'm giving this an 8. Minus the minor issues which could've been user error, it runs strong and is easy to carry around. Doesn't feel as sturdy as the older saws but hopefully it'll last awhile.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I think you have that start that winds up a spring, then let’s go to fire. If so, the intent is to slowly pull and wind up that spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lb6259

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll have to read up on it again but I think you're right. Something to try as well after my back heals up.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
I have never heard of the tool less adjust working well at all.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have never heard of the tool less adjust working well at all.
It does seem like it's a bit flimsy. If it continues to come loose I may just switch over to a regular adjustment setup.

Reactions: c5rulz
1 - 5 of 5 Posts