My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While on vacation I figured I'd treat myself, so I went and bought the stihl KM91R. Already have a km130r but I'm still piecing it together so I figured a brand new unit would give me an idea of what I'm working with.

Bought it with the straight shaft and curved edger attachments. Eventually I may end up getting a couple more but for right now this is enough.

First actual time using it was today after mowing with the straight shaft attachment.

Starts within 2 pulls, idles smooth. Sounds (in my opinion) like a dirt bike. It took a bit to get used to the throttle as I'm used to the fs70 and srm2501, but overall it works well.

Next time I mow I'm going to try out the edger.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Both the 91 and 130 are what they used to call 4-mix engines. These are 4cycle engines that use a gas/oil mix and don't have a separate crankcase with oil in it. They get lubrication from the oil in the gas, so don't forget to mix it right.

I have an FS130. I found it impossible to use with string. It would always break. I then got an FS94R. It is an actual 2cycle. It doesn't make much torque, especially at low speed. It has a really nice trigger that lets you set the max speed for full trigger, but it let's you press harder to go beyond full and get the full range. This works great for use with string and it will run at low RPM quite well. I never break string with it.

But, it really doesn't have the torque to power the power scythe (or I assume the hedge trimmer). So, the 94 for string and the 130/131 for everything else.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I normally run 32:1 in all of my 2 cycle equipment unless its an older unit that calls for 16:1, but for this I'm probably going to stick with the motomix fuel since it's new. The 130 is most likely going to be delegated to edging and if I end up getting any more attachments will also be used for those.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts