My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use Stihl HP ultra in my Stihl trimmer and blower. As you may know, this is Stihl's fully synthetic 2-cycle oil. For Stihl equipment, it is required at 50:1. The pre-measured bottles are available in various sizes for easy 50:1 mixing.

I have never used lawnboy oil in my F (10545) or Duraforce powered Lawnboys. I was using Mobil 2T at 32:1 in my Lawnboys, but have now started using Stihl HP Ultra at 50:1.

Does anyone see any problem using the Stihl? I haven't noticed any problems, but would appreciate any input.

I think Stihl oil will be a consistent source for 2 cycle oil for the foreseeable future. I don't want to use it, or any other oil, at any higher ratio, although others report no problems at higher ratios.

thanks! Jeff

P.s. I have 8 unopened bottles of Mobil 2T. It takes me 2 years to get through one (just for the mowers). If the consensus is that Stihl is acceptable, I'll part with these. Now don't let that influence your advice!!

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
I don't think that this would hurt the duraforce as it was an engine that was pretty much designed to run at 50-1. If you look at toro's R-tek motor for their snowblowers, it is piston ported horizontal placement version of the duraforce that even uses the same carb and it is made for 50-1. I also think that with the stihl oil being synthetic you shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I use Stihl HP ultra in my Stihl trimmer and blower. As you may know, this is Stihl's fully synthetic 2-cycle oil. For Stihl equipment, it is required at 50:1. The pre-measured bottles are available in various sizes for easy 50:1 mixing.

I have never used lawnboy oil in my F (10545) or Duraforce powered Lawnboys. I was using Mobil 2T at 32:1 in my Lawnboys, but have now started using Stihl HP Ultra at 50:1.

Does anyone see any problem using the Stihl? I haven't noticed any problems, but would appreciate any input.

I think Stihl oil will be a consistent source for 2 cycle oil for the foreseeable future. I don't want to use it, or any other oil, at any higher ratio, although others report no problems at higher ratios.

thanks! Jeff

P.s. I have 8 unopened bottles of Mobil 2T. It takes me 2 years to get through one (just for the mowers). If the consensus is that Stihl is acceptable, I'll part with these. Now don't let that influence your advice!!
Add an ounce of MMO to the bottle of Stihl Ultra. That will end up giving you a 35:1 ratio and will give you better ring seal and help your fuel system stay clean. It won't hurt your trimmer and blower.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I am glad for the confirmation that this is ok.

I should have mentioned that I have been adding an once of Seafoam to the mix, but I'll try the MMO in the next batch.

thanks, Jeff

8 bottles of Mobil 2T are for sale.

·
LAWN-BOY-AHOLIC
1,349 Posts
How is your dura-force jetted? If it surges then it is already too lean and that means less oil is getting to the engine. It will also run hotter if it is lean which will put even more stress on the oil. If it is not surging then you may be fine with the synthetic oil at 50 to 1. I run the Mobil oil in everything I own at 32 to 1 with no problems, including my Stihl saws and other 50 to 1 engines. The Stihl oil is expensive stuff even when compared to Mobil One. I think I read where the Sthil oil is made by Castrol, but I am not sure. Why take a chance with the leaner ratio? Good luck with your LB's.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
How is your dura-force jetted? If it surges then it is already too lean and that means less oil is getting to the engine. It will also run hotter if it is lean which will put even more stress on the oil. If it is not surging then you may be fine with the synthetic oil at 50 to 1. I run the Mobil oil in everything I own at 32 to 1 with no problems, including my Stihl saws and other 50 to 1 engines. The Stihl oil is expensive stuff even when compared to Mobil One. I think I read where the Sthil oil is made by Castrol, but I am not sure. Why take a chance with the leaner ratio? Good luck with your LB's.
I agree. Don't know why you just don't go ahead and use the Mobil oil. It's good stuff and you already have it. Use it until it's gone and then switch.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I ran Stihl Ultra Syn at 50:1 once. My Duraforce started surging. It could be one of two things:

1. A coincidence, it came out of storage with a weak air vane spring or grit from grinding leaves last fall in the low speed jet, or a dry gasket on the intake. I have addressed all three.

2. She is a tempermental girl and her feelings are hurt that I took away her
dino TCW3 at 32:1.

I do not think it was the Stihl oil. My surging is now intermittant, even on the 32:1. I have my fingers crossed I have it beat. (it has come back twice when I thought that) I love the Stihl oil and the smell! I just need to talk to her nice before I try it again.

Let me know if you have any problems. I am curious why my surging did not start until after 9 years.

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
I am curious why my surging did not start until after 9 years.

Sounds like it's time to clean and blow out the jets/new needle and seat time also.

·
LAWN-BOY-AHOLIC
1,349 Posts
I'm with Echoman on this one, new needle and seat and a new float set level with the carb base. Your DF can develop a rich condition surge that sounds just like a lean surge only you have more smoke. IMHO the carbs are the weakest link in the DF engine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My duraforce is jetted with the R-tek jet (42.5). Even after the re-jetting, I noticed a bit of a surge on start up, but that stopped after a minute or so. I don't notice any difference when running 2T or HP Ultra.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
My duraforce is jetted with the R-tek jet (42.5). Even after the re-jetting, I noticed a bit of a surge on start up, but that stopped after a minute or so. I don't notice any difference when running 2T or HP Ultra.
Some surge during warm-up is normal with all but 1 of my Lawnboys. I'd mix your Mobil 2T at 40:1 and run it in everything. I run the Mobile at 3 ounces 2T and 1 ounce MMO in one gallon and it does fine. Don't sell your Mobil unless you can make money off it (unless you sell it to us of course:thThumbsU ). Otherwise just use it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So lets say that I decide to use up my Mobil 2T. I have 8 bottles, which will last me quite a while. I can get 8 gallons of mix out of each bottle, and I bet that lasts me a whole summer.

How long will this stuff last? How will I know when it goes bad?

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
I would bet that the mobil 2T has a shelf life of AT LEAST 10 years or more. I know that dino oil never really goes bad, unless there is a stabilizer in it.

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Mobil said this oil had a life of 5 years, but kept in a box, cool and dark, not freezing or excessive heat, I bet it will survive almost double that with no issues. Until I sold some stock, I had enough to last about 15 years. Now about half that. I'd still sell it if someone wanted to buy it.

·
LAWN-BOY-AHOLIC
1,349 Posts
I have a lot of the Mobil oil thanks to ToroBoy and Autozone, I plan on using it up until I mow no more. It is great oil! I am sure there are others that are great too, but my personal experiance with this oil have been excellent!

·
Lawnboy Green
633 Posts
Hi Guys,

I think you guys know how I feel about this 50:1 stuff. Maybe because I see alot of the engines from the inside. I just cannot understand why you would want to run such a low amount of oil in an engine that is getting much harder to find parts for? Even at a 32:1 ratio or 3 per cent mix, your asking that small amount of oil to do an awful lot. Lets see, a set of Duraforce piston rings is $25-40. A piston, connecting rod and set of bearings is another $100-150. A crank is another $100-125. Labor to have them installed, maybe another $100-150 if your lucky. If your really worried about air pollution, run that new green Beef Tallow oil that wont burn until it reaches 350 degrees Fahrenheit, just dont run it 50:1.

Green Earth two cycle oil:
This groundbreaking, biodegradable, US-made 2-cycle oil is API certified, doesn't burn and cuts toxic emissions by as much as 48%. It's made using oils derived from American grown beef tallow, provides superior performance and most importantly, reduces our dependence on foreign oil. Same mix ratio as regular 2-cycle oil with a low temperature pour point of -43°F for year round use. The high flash point of 365°F is not classified as flammable by OSHA or DOT and offers a significant safety advantage. Meets API TC and JASO FD.

Best wishes,
Bob

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Hi Guys,

Even at a 32:1 ratio or 3 per cent mix, your asking that small amount of oil to do an awful lot.
I agree, 32:1 is what has worked for decades. I even run 40:1 in my 50:1 stuff.

If your really worried about air pollution, run that new green Beef Tallow oil that wont burn until it reaches 350 degrees Fahrenheit, just dont run it 50:1.
Don't forget running castor bean oil. It's expensive though.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts