My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What saw should i buy? Im looking for a 16-18" bar. I will cut wood just enough to supply me with enough wood for the summer and early fall. Maybe a cord a year. What would be a good stihl saw, im going to be buying it on saturday this weekend along with a fs55 trimmer. What would you recomend?

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
The farm boss is one of the best saws they make.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The farm boss is a stihl saw? How much are they?

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Yes they are a stihl saw, Go to their web site it will give you prices.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought a ms180c . Got it for 199 it was on sale. Haven't used it yet though have to give a report when i do.

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
I'm sure you'll be happy with it, sthil makes some real good saws.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo, Dolmar/Makita and Johnsered all make great saws. I would search through your local dealers, and buy from the dealer that treats you the best.

Stihl makes an all around good product, the MS290 (Farm Boss) is a great firewood saw, as well as the larger MS361 and new MS362. I would not hesitate to buy any of those new, but there are several good older models too. The 029 was a phenomenal saw.

Husqvarna makes a good saw as well, if you are looking to buy used you could probably find a 55 or 50 in good shape for under 200.00.

If you do go to look for a used saw, bring a scrench and compression tester. If it has poor compression, pull the muffler and check out the piston. If it is scored it will not run well, but if the price is right pistons and cylinders aren't terribly expensive.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I have an 021,029 & a commercial weedeater, i don't think you can go wrong with a Stihl.

Ronnie

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well i bought a ms180 saw with a 14" bar and it works great for what i need. Also bought the fs55r trimmer and it also works great very happy with the purchase. I will have to give a furthor update in the future after some more use.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Why does every one jump in and suggest the MS-290? The only thing it’s good for is a boat anchor.

The MS-180 should be “ok” for you, but the 230 or 250 may have been a better choice. Keep your chain sharp!!! and you should get a few good seasons out of it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
For one cord of wood/year the MS 250 is fine if not perfect. It's light enough so it doesn't wear you out and the larger heavier saws are quite a price jump.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts