My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at the end of my rope with this thing...

It's 11 years old and the carb is original. Last year it started to bog occasionally so I ran carb cleaner through all the passages, wiped down the needles and put it back together. At the end of the season I ran it dry like I always do. This spring I started with fresh gas and it ran but wouldn't idle. Today I noticed the tank was completely dry (I hang it engine side up. Needless to say it was a little bit flooded. Got it all dried out and it will only run on ether, as soon as I put gas into the tank it would die.

I took the carb apart again and everything looked good, no signs of varnish that I could tell, cleaned all the passages and put it back together it would run but wouldn't idle.

The low side screw was at 1 1/4 turns and the high speed side was 1 7/8 turns. Does this sound about right? Before I replace the carb, is there anything else I can try to get it cleaned?

I want to do a compression test, anyone know what the acceptable range is?

Thanks, thanks, thanks.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Did you look at the muffler spark arrestor? I have seen those clog with carbon. Just a thought.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Something is clogged in the carb . Take it apart and soak parts in mean green overnight . Take a bread tie , just the wire part ( rip paper off ) and run it thru all the jets . Air gun it dry and spray carb cleaner on everything before putting it back together . If nothing improves sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and buy a new carb . Stihl zama carb I'm assuming ?

·
Registered
437 Posts
A stihl dealer should have the rebuild kit . If you left it dry of gas the diaphragm could have dried out and got brittle . They are very finicky to tell if good or bad , best to just go ahead and replace it while u already have everything apart . Hope this helps good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts