My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i am tired of lugging my big old JOnsered 40 and 60 cc trimmers / brush cutters around as they weigh a ton, but work fantastic, but with the added weight and size they are, it has lead me to put off triming more than i should have. I had been looking at another light in weight and light duty trimmer, but I just had problems buying from the big box stores, or buying the Troy Built, Cub Cadet, Bolens, or the Ryobi and Echo models.....Other than Echo which I am not fond of in particular, the others just seemed like clones of each other. I had looked at a Husky, but passed. Was all set to buy a Stihl FS45, as it is super light and is easy to work onehanded, last week for $149.00, but the dealer had them on sale at $124.95, so this morning I picked one up and gave it a work out. I managed ot go through two fills of the spool (2 x 6' each fill) until I got all the neglected trim done, and some if it should have been bush hogged long ago.......It never missed a beat, my back does not suffer from it nor my arms, which was my main reason and problems with swinging the jonsereds, as I have bad elbows....Changing line is a piece of cake, just insert into cutter head and turn the knob and wind it in. Super easy. I only used about 3/4 tank of gas (full tank capacity is 300cc), so its pretty miserly with fuel consumption, something my Jonsereds certainly are not bashfull about. I used to have to fill up numerous times with my older trimmers, and they had a larger tank as well. So for now I have to give it a thumbs up but its still pretty new so only time will tell.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Congrats on your purchase, that's a grerat trimmer! It sure is nice not having back pain after weed whipping, isn't it?

And I know what you mean about having a nice, light trimmer. I bought a Stihl FS36 at an auction last weekend and boy, is it a lot nicer than my old Craftsman model. Very light, plenty of power for what I need it to do, and I love the grips! And the carb is adjustable too, which comes in handy.

·
Guru on the Mountain
2,072 Posts
I have the Stihl FS-45, a little cold shouldered till it warms up, then fine. Tried a Craftsman straight shaft I got for about $40 off, new one not return for $89. Runs lousey , many restarts, and no power, going back tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes the line so far feeds out fine. I do not know how it wil be further down the road as most all auto feeds I ever used or seen seem to get stickey after they get some use on them........... the biggest thing to get used to is only bumping it one time. It takes two pieces of .080" line that is 8'3" in length (dealer told me to use 6 to 7 foot pieces for better results).......and you line up an arrow on the bottom of cutter head with another arrow. This lines up the two line holder bushing sockets/ exit holes in the internal spool with the outer head. Insert line ends straight into each hole, until they stop or bottom out (about 1 1/2" or so) then turn bottom handwheel portion and wind up the line onto the internal spool. Its pretty fast but a little awkward until you get the hang of it, as its clumsy with the trimmer needing to be at such an angle or upside down, but its not really bad, just something new to get used to.

Yesterday was the first time in over 20 years my wife actually picked up the trimmer, and cranked it up, and trimmed around the flowers and such, and actually enjoyed it. She flat out refused to use my Jonsereds due to size and weight.

So far I wish the shaft was just anbout 2 inches or so longer, then I could use it without just a slight bend to my back........but with its light weight its really no problem.......Perhaps if you over 6' tall and do not have extra long arms it may be a different story, but its not a bad trimmer, and has tons of power for the motor size, which I was leary of since all mine are at least 2X the Stilhs displacement.

·
Registered
249 Posts
we have a couple of Stihl trimmers nad boy are they nice. Congrats on the buy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts