My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the homelite chainsaw projects are currently at a standstill until parts arrive, starting another one.

Its missing the rear shroud portion but I'm able to find one on eBay.

Not too concerned about that at the moment though. More concerned about this:

Yep...scoring. luckily I was able to find an NOS piston/conrod, which is on its way. My concern is with the cylinder, I've found used ones but there's no way of actually telling if they're really any good or not.

Which leads me to this. I've had these two weedeaters sitting idle, I'm never going to do anything with them so I'm eventually scrapping them-unless I can magically get the mculloch running again.

Looking at the engines on these 2, they look similar to the engine on the FS44. I've read through a few threads on here, one's stated that it's basically an upside down ryobi engine, so I'm wondering if the cylinder from one of these would work on the stihl. If so then I think I'll be good.

The plan is, while this probably isn't the most ideal model to repair, I'd like to at least try to replace the piston and see how it goes. Basically a learning curve for me, I can do almost everything else but when it comes to an actual engine teardown/rebuild, the farthest I've gone is replacing seals on my 6259 commercial LawnBoy(ironically covered with a box as it has no spark again). So it'll be a new experience.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
That would be like putting a Dodge cylinder head on a Ford block, it ain't gonna work. I won't spend time on the inverted engines, find another Stihl and use that one for parts.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know. I'll probably end up using the red one to piece the mculloch back together if I decide to fix it.

Found a decent used head for this one, just waiting for it and the piston/rod to get here so I can start the teardown process.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts