My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
More Liberty, Less Tyrany
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Stihl FS44 string trimmer. Standard unit with trigger throttle on the shaft.

It has served me well for all these years and have never given me a moments trouble.

I don't want to get rid of it.

There is a problem though that I need some assistance for.

Its seemed that I've always been TALL for this trimmer and need to stoop a little to use it. I do about 30-45 minutes worth of trimming each time I cut the grass and now after all these years its starting to get the better of me.

I had thought that if I could add a 'bicycle' handle assembly and harness it would allow me to hold the trimmer lower so I wouldn't have to stoop so much and be able make it through each cutting in good shape. Now I make this the last job I do for the day because it tires me so.

I've inquired at my local repair shops and they either say that the parts to add to my trimmer will cost as much as a new one and why don't I just go ahead and buy a new one and be done with it.

I don't want a new trimmer!!! It'd be like having to get a new car because I lost the gas cap..

I've been looking on Ebay and other places for parts and can find some pieces like the handle bracket and maybe the cable but not the pistol grip or the bicycle handles themselves.

I wonder how hard it will be to find parts like this for a reasonable price and where online could I go to try and locate pieces to make this work?

Anybody have any insight to this?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I just did exactly what you are thinking about doing and for the same reason. My Stihl FS55 was killing my back. I got lucky...a neighbor of mine gave me an old non-running Mccullough with the bike bars. The shaft on the Mccullough was longer than the shaft on my Stilh, so with some minor mods, I put the Stilh engine on the Mccullough shaft and modified the Mccullough throtle cable to work with the Stilh engine.

It's working out great...I use a shoulder strap and have adjusted the bike bars so that the trimmer is balanced and I can stand up straight.....It really takes a strain off the old back! I'll snap some pictures of it if you would like to see it.

·
More Liberty, Less Tyrany
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just did exactly what you are thinking about doing and for the same reason. My Stihl FS55 was killing my back. I got lucky...a neighbor of mine gave me an old non-running Mccullough with the bike bars. The shaft on the Mccullough was longer than the shaft on my Stilh, so with some minor mods, I put the Stilh engine on the Mccullough shaft and modified the Mccullough throtle cable to work with the Stilh engine.

It's working out great...I use a shoulder strap and have adjusted the bike bars so that the trimmer is balanced and I can stand up straight.....It really takes a strain off the old back! I'll snap some pictures of it if you would like to see it.
Found a $7 Ebay special of FS handle bars and am working on attaching them

Now if I can just figure out how to stop the rattling sound inside that is louder than the running engine sounds like its clutch drum that is making all the noise but I can't figure out if its loose or worn.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts