My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tree company has several fs250r trimmers with bush blades on CLs. Asking price 3-350. Almost nobody sells stihl. Once they buy them they are kept for decades. So I can't find other listings on used items. Just wanted to check in with the forum on the value. From the pictures they look clean.

Ive been delaying buying the lowest solid shaft fs90 for sometime but the fs250 is the same price minis the new smell. It's overkill for most of my use around my house. Been using a battery trimmer. But I do have a 40x125 section that's too soft for a riding mower, exept during 3week+ dry spell. So the few times I need to use brush cutting blade or thick grass the fs250 would be something I'd always wish I'd have. So, I'm sold on the fs250.

Does 350 sound right on the money for a commerical used fs250r?

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
According to my 2007 price list, an FS250 with the bike handle sold for $509. A current unit could cost a little more due to QEII, as I believe the 250 is still made in Germany. OTOH, Stihl products hold their value well, and the price may not be out of line if it is still in good shape.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
That depends an awful lot on the condition of the trimmers. Being that they were used commercially, I expect that they have some serious hours of use on them. That being said, I think that price is too high. Is it listed or best offer?
I have a FS130, which is a horse. I have creekbank to weedeat, which is full of heavy, tough grass and briars. It is more than enough. A 250 will be overkill for what you need, but you will never worry about running out of power. Depending on your strength and endurance, it will be more to handle than a 90. Some food for thought.
I bought my 130 on sale for $379, if I remember correctly. I would do that again, before I would pay $350 for a used 250 that has questionable life left in it.

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
I would not pay that much for one used commercially.

If it was a homeowner use only, I'd consider it.

Bought my stihl blower and weed whacker used a few years ago and have had no issues at all. And they were old but well taken care of.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
They don't look bad, but I'm with hodge on this, it may be way more than you need. When I was a dealer, I only sold several of them over many years and they were special order only. See if you can try one out before buying.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got a 125'x30 section at the end of my lot thats near marsh. I've got lots of saplings and 1-3" stuff that's needs cleared and loads of stumps left from bushhog. Every few months that Area will need trimming. Tractor and mowers just spin on the saturated soil. So the trimmer will be used. Plus if it's more than needed once I clear up the brush I can sell it, provided I pay a fair price.

I don't known the story.

I'd be happy with a fs90-130 used. However nobody really sells them. I'll see if the price is obo and if I fell good I'll offer based on you'll advice.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
How close are they to you? Do you know a lot about trimmers and small engines? Just give it a once over before you pass the cash. You should be able to tell real quick what shape they are in. Any broken plastic? Faded plastic? Does it start fine, does it idle smooth, or does it surge and clatter? Any jury rigging? Does it rev out fine, or is it slow? Any gear whine in the gearbox/cutter head? These are some things to pay attention to. Pay the most attention to the engine and the shaft. The cutting head can be replaced easy enough.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took you'll advice on the price and power. So I just bit the bullet and got a brand new kombi unit. Km130 with brush head, edger, bush blade, grass blade, auto tap ez head...

Stihl has a promotion with the $$ oil purchased at the same time they double the warranty. That sold me: not that I even expect to need a single warranty repair.

Love the sound of the big 4mix.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dealer would only drop 10.00 off the total bill. Next up is the face shield earmuff hardhat combo- but darn sure not at full retail!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Nothing is perfect- you may need a warranty service some day. Double the warranty is comforting.
Congrats- the 4MIX is awesome- it doesn't vibrate you like a 2 stroke does, it has great power, and it should outlast a 2 stroke. Plus, unlike other 4 stroke trimmers, you don't need to change the oil in it.

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
Dealer would only drop 10.00 off the total bill. Next up is the face shield earmuff hardhat combo- but darn sure not at full retail!
That's because Stihl has a captive market that they haven't ruined by going into all the big box stores. This is the way all OPE should be sold IMO- through a dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tree company has several fs250r trimmers with bush blades on CLs. Asking price 3-350. Almost nobody sells stihl. Once they buy them they are kept for decades. So I can't find other listings on used items. Just wanted to check in with the forum on the value. From the pictures they look clean.

Ive been delaying buying the lowest solid shaft fs90 for sometime but the fs250 is the same price minis the new smell. It's overkill for most of my use around my house. Been using a battery trimmer. But I do have a 40x125 section that's too soft for a riding mower, exept during 3week+ dry spell. So the few times I need to use brush cutting blade or thick grass the fs250 would be something I'd always wish I'd have. So, I'm sold on the fs250.

Does 350 sound right on the money for a commerical used fs250r?
Im looking at an almost brandnew fs250 and right now i will take $350 for it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts