My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I'm into LawnBoys, I'm also into older saws. Already have 2 homelites (xl and xl2, both run but need carb tuning/replacement), this, and have an 041 on the way from ebay, but this ones by far the worst one condition wise.

Engine's locked up solid, I've dumped MMO down the cylinder hole, next step is ATF or pb blaster. Looking through the exhaust port the piston doesn't seem to be scored, wondering if a bearing seized. Stripped one of the shroud screws trying to take it off. There's a ton of parts missing, including the muffler. Coil wire is on the verge of breaking off.

Luckily I was able to find an oil tank/cover and a piston/head. I have NO idea what carburetor this uses, I do know it has a mesh/paper(not exactly sure on that one either) screw-on air filter. Also don't see an oiler on it, may have to find one.

Don't mind the mess, come spring I'm reorganizing the workbench

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I let this sit in an MMO/ATF bath for almost a month. With a little persuasion, I got it to turn. Now that I can see the piston move, I did notice light scratches on it, but it's alot better than the XL700's deep gouge. Spun the flywheel with a socket wrench for about 10-15 minutes, engine now spins freely and compression feels good. next step is sourcing an ignition coil along with a few other things.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And now for today's bump:

Grabbed an 08s (ebay seems to love me now). The recoil doesn't seem to be working properly, but everything appears to be in better shape overall than the 08. This one also has a manual chain brake, which seems like a later model?

I'm probably going to focus on getting this running instead of the other one. First item is to get the recoil working. Also bought an oil tank/cover for the other saw but I'll throw it on this one.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, sadly. Neither one has a serial number anywhere that I can find, i think the 08s is definitely a later model since it has the chain brake installed but that's about as much as I know.

·
Certified Technician
8,513 Posts
I had an 08s years ago, the most frustrating saw I'd owned up to that point. It had points...I fought them, then the recoil acted up. I sold it for 50 dollars for parts...they were decent saws when they ran

Reactions: Lb6259

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Funny you mentioned the recoil, the 08s's recoil isn't working either. I can pull all day and it won't engage the flywheel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts