My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have experience with this saw???

While at my local dealer yesterday getting more carb parts I notice this saw sitting there all nice looking, new bar and chain. I asked about it and it's a trade in that's been gone over and is ready to work...$250 was the price on it. Not sure if that high but it's not too far from some of the new saws sitting on the rack so there must be something about this 029 that makes it worth the money...

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I have an 028 super. The only malfunction has been the starter rope knot pulled out and I lost the T handle on the end and a bolt broke in the anti-vibration mount. It is about 18 years old. Back then the even numbered saws were the commercial ones that they now call the "pro line". The odd #'s ones were cheaper. Right now the new 290 saws are the biggest seller but again are not the commercial saws. I think the 290's go for about $350 new.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
I have an 036 and it is a wonderful saw. I don't know if the 029 is that similar, but if it is anything like the 036, that is a good price.

I'm sure that there will be someone along soon that knows more than I do about them and steer you better than I can.

·
the "AWOL member"
4,954 Posts
A good ole dependable saw, not to sure about that price seems just a little high to me.I've got the new version the ms290,had it for about 4yrs. now and not a moments trouble.:fing32:

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
The 029 is the same basic animal as the MS290. Stihl changed their model designation over ten years ago, that should give you some idea of its age. It might be worth that if it is in new condition. If not, I'd pass.
The 029/290 is a completely different animal than an 028 or an 036. The latter are professional saws with an aluminum or magnesium CC and a removable cylinder like an old Gravely. The 029/290 use an engine "capsule", where the cylinder is part of the crankcase, like a LB "F" engine. It is less expensive to manufacture, but more difficult to repair. Generally, if your 029/or 290 gets straight gassed and needs a cylinder, you're better off going for a new saw, unless you can do the repair yourself and get the parts at dealer cost.

·
Resident Man Of Many Hats
2,641 Posts
I'd keep an eye out on CL for a nice used pro saw. You can find a better model all day long for the same price if not cheaper. To bad your not down here, my uncle is a Stihl dealer and tends to practically give away things that people bring in for repair and never return to pick up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts