My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Tractor newb
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed over the last few mowing my 165's steering has felt, for a lack of a better term, sticky.

I have greased all the point with grease zerks and checked the wheel bearings, they are fine.

any ideas?

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
sounds like something may be binding.

if you jack up the front so the wheels are free, does it still fell "sticky" when you turn from stop to stop?

·
Tractor newb
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought the same thing but i get the same result with the wheels off the ground. I am wondering if I hit the steering gears with some wd40 if it would help or i would just be a waste.

·
Registered
259 Posts
i have a175 and 180 when i got them they were both real stiff and hard to turn,i actually took out front spindles cleaned out hole with round brush greased the heck out of them and sprayed wd all over anything to do with the gears,and tie rods,they are pretty good now,those steering rods wear pretty fast and maybe someone has welded on them they are so worn out,check them

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
You could jack it up again, and have someone wiggle the wheel back and forth just a little, and you might be able to see where the bind is. It just might be some crud stuck in the sector gear for the steering.
WD40 is a good solvent, not such a great lube. I'd suggest a real oil to lube the pivot points.

·
Tractor newb
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You could jack it up again, and have someone wiggle the wheel back and forth just a little, and you might be able to see where the bind is. It just might be some crud stuck in the sector gear for the steering.
WD40 is a good solvent, not such a great lube. I'd suggest a real oil to lube the pivot points.
I did use a grease gun on the grease zerks. It's an odd feeling, it almost feels like the steering column is rusty, but it may be binding somewhere or just dirty. I appreciate the advice If all else fails I will take some grease from the grease gun and put a dab on the sector gear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts