My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Three of my friends
9,344 Posts
found this Cub Steering up grade on google and I saw on this forum that Cub and JD used the same gear box on some models,any one know if the models listed for the Cub might fit some of our,I think it would replace # 4 bearing on the JD parts picture.

Ever wish you had power steering on your IH Cub? This simple modification will lessen steering effort immensely by reducing friction. The stock steering box uses a grease-lubricated washer that rides against the housing, taking all thrust loads. This kit replaces the friction-causing washer with a ball-thrust bearing, a clever retrofit discovered by Donald Mayes. As these parts are external to the steering box, this is one of the easiest modifications to perform, taking about 1/2 hour to complete.

Kit consists of a NICE 605 ball thrust bearing, precision steel shim washer, and quality Nylock jam nut. Instructions on installation and adjusting are included. For IH Cub Cadets models 70 through 169, 800 through 1650 Quietlines, and all 82 series.

Super Steering Upgrade Kit price each - $12.00 plus $4.00 First Classhttp://www.kirkengines.com/images/SteeringUpgrade.jpg

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,970 Posts
Re: Steering up grade

found this Cub Steering up grade on google and I saw on this forum that Cub and JD used the same gear box on some models,any one know if the models listed for the Cub might fit some of our,I think it would replace # 4 bearing on the JD parts picture.

Ever wish you had power steering on your IH Cub? This simple modification will lessen steering effort immensely by reducing friction. The stock steering box uses a grease-lubricated washer that rides against the housing, taking all thrust loads. This kit replaces the friction-causing washer with a ball-thrust bearing, a clever retrofit discovered by Donald Mayes. As these parts are external to the steering box, this is one of the easiest modifications to perform, taking about 1/2 hour to complete.

Kit consists of a NICE 605 ball thrust bearing, precision steel shim washer, and quality Nylock jam nut. Instructions on installation and adjusting are included. For IH Cub Cadets models 70 through 169, 800 through 1650 Quietlines, and all 82 series.

Super Steering Upgrade Kit price each - $12.00 plus $4.00 First Class
I just fix the picture for you. :)

·
Super Moderator
17,136 Posts

For those of you that doin't know--there is a man up in Luray, Va...
(retired machinest)--that makes and rebuilds steering boxs..
I'll see if I can find his link....

glenn

·
Three of my friends
9,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks for fixing the picture,sent them an email asking for information abour compatibility,I don't think rebuilding is a big project but easier steering on the old tractors could stand some help?

·
Registered
989 Posts

What I want to know is does the kit do anything for a JD?

·
Three of my friends
9,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Huum that I couldn't answer but I WILL know if it fits my 216.For 16 bucks I'd try it.

·
Super Moderator
39,237 Posts

biker, great post! Everyone wishes they had power steering!!! Could've used something like that on the 110, 212 and 216!

·
Three of my friends
9,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

PA 318,thanks,now for some more information on this subject.Being from a toolmaker background, I am always looking for improvements and the pin that runs in the steering shaft seems to wear and need replacing or re worked somehow, soooo I know that ( cam following bearing's) are made for this application and would make a large improvement on operation because of the friction between the two parts but don't know about the size of the pin until I dis-assemlly mine.http://www.rbcbearings.com/literature/pdfs/RBC-CF.pdf

·
new nut but loving it
1,595 Posts

Biker this is interesting... I have an old 110 that the wife won't drive as it takes too much to steer it. It is on my project list to fix.:D

In case you where wondering "my project list is on my clip board under the "honey do list" for some reason it never gets completely done... :crybaby:

·
Three of my friends
9,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

Well after a lot of looking the JD Ross and the cub ross gear are the same,there are youtube videas on ross gearbox rebuild and one refers to JD and CUb so I think it will work.Deerenut,you better get with it on Honey Do List or you gonna have to all the mowing.

·
Three of my friends
9,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I went to JD Parts and looked at the 110 series and the 200 series steering box and both "kits" for rebuilding them use the same kit, am31924 and it subed for am 30867 or vise versa did not write them down.Looks like JD used the same one untill the 300 series came along

·
Super Moderator
39,237 Posts

The RF 110 had a different steering gearbox the the later 110's and 200's! The later ones can be made to fit a RF but you will have to do a little grinding to get it to work.

·
Three of my friends
9,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Intresting TIM,I just got mine apart (fred flintstoned it) could' nt get the steering wheel off so did it from underneath,looks like the pin is the culprit on mine (picture).There is enough of the taper left to get the degree of the taper (15) degree.The shaft must be REALLY hard because the pin is over Rockwell 72 (a files 72) and a file won't cut it,guess I will take it to the machine shop down the road and have him re cut it,there's enough for salvage.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
I bought a Cam follower (steering pin) and replacement ball bearings on ebay. If you do it, make sure you get the 9/16-18 thread version. The first one I ordered was 1/2". I think for a cub cadet. When I realized my error the seller shipped me the right one and I shipped back the wrong one. He was great to work with. I got it for about $15 shipped and it fixed my steering issue. Here is a link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cam-Followe...=WDVW&rd=1&ih=012&category=82248&cmd=ViewItem

·
Three of my friends
9,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the ebay info.

·
Three of my friends
9,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got an email from Kirk's engines and he said the bearing for Cub is 5/8 and the JD is 3/4 so his produck won't work on JD.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts