My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't like the rag joint on my machine and I found a rubber replacement online for $7 but I wanted somthing a little better so Im going to put in what i thought about from the start.
Here is the original

Here is the replacement

And I may replace the shaft as well

I will add more pics from while I'm putting it together should ony take an hour or two when i get to it tomorow night.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,140 Posts
Nothing wrong with the over kill of the U-joint - it'll outlast the rider body in all probability.. I was looking at that same thing on an older Murray I had and I thought a side wall piece, cut out from a tire carcass would make an excellent replacement, if I ever needed to replace it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing wrong with the over kill of the U-joint - it'll outlast the rider body in all probability.. I was looking at that same thing on an older Murray I had and I thought a side wall piece, cut out from a tire carcass would make an excellent replacement, if I ever needed to replace it.
I was going to do that too, great minds think alike. I really wanted the smooth feel of the U-joint... and I wa too lazy to cut a tire up lol

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
Looking foward to pics of the upgrade.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here comes the pics!!:thThumbsU
Only took about an hour or so. I'm very pleased with the results much better steering indeed. My suicide knob works much better now. It was a little expensive but I had giftcards for xmas for where I got all of the bits and pieces so why not. The u joint was $35, $10 for the shaft( exhaust pipe) $5 for the coupler that conects the u joint to the shaft and $2.50 for the 3/4"bolt.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OR;

You could have gone this route for a lot less money.:fing20:
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=1-2738&catname=powerTrans

Basically the lower end of the steering column where the steering shaft attaches to the rack. Not a frequently called for part in most salvage yards so the cost would be minimal.

Just thinking out loud.
I totally agree and I thought of that too. I have a subaru justy in the yard that is waiting to get hauled away and it prob had one of those in it, but I wanted to fab somthing really easy and this job was real easy, and fun and free because of the gift cards :thThumbsU but for any oneelse wanting to do this kind of mod that surplus centre deal couldnt be beat thanks for the link

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.