My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Case 222. The steering wheel is slipping.
I found a pdf file that shows removal of a cap and then I should see a nut.
The cap came off, but I'm not seeing a nut. There's just more plastic there.

What am I missing?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks.
Looking closer at it, it looks like the pinion gear is slipping.
I'll have to remove the deck to see anything.

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
Ok thanks.
Looking closer at it, it looks like the pinion gear is slipping.
I'll have to remove the deck to see anything.
IIRC, the pinion is welded on. Sounds as if you may have worn gear teeth on the sector and or pinion gear. Removing shims from the top side of the sector gear allows it to move closer to the pinion. This can compensate for "some" wear. Frequently the sector needs replaced, new ones are available for $90. Used ones come up on e-bay. But that`s a crap shoot on a "wear part" I bought a new one. YMMV

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took the deck off, so I can access to the steering mechanism.
The sector gear wobbles around a lot.
After I cool down, I'll remove the sector gear and see what the shims are like.
It's almost 100 degrees here.

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
Minor tip, if you need to get a wrench on the top of the bolt that holds the sector "axle" in place, take off the access plate on the rear of the dash tower and snake your hand in.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Minor tip, if you need to get a wrench on the top of the bolt that holds the sector "axle" in place, take off the access plate on the rear of the dash tower and snake your hand in.
Thank you!

It was just a loose nut below the sector gear. I guess that it worked loose over the years since 1984.
It's still good for me to seek advice, and look at a schematic, even for a simple repair. Because I didn't grow up with garden tractors, and I have no clue what I'm doing.

While the deck is off, I'm gonna get the blades sharpened. :)

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
Thank you!
Because I didn't grow up with garden tractors, and I have no clue what I'm doing.
You can`t be any more of a beginner (Tractor Tyro) than I am. Glad to help in a small way. Your 90 + degree heat is scheduled to arrive in OH tomorrow.
Think I`ll stay in the shade and enjoy a cool:trink40:

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
You are lucky that the nut came loose and not a gear issue. :fing20: Grease the gears up lightly with a quality gear grease that will stay there. Also put the front wheels straight forward and the steering wheel in a position that looks good. Then install the sector gear so that the teeth mesh is in the middle. This will ensure that you have the equal amount of turn ' left/right ' .

:trink39:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts