My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Craftsman LT 1000. 917.271810. I was having issues with turning left where the steer wheel would just click, but it would turn right. I wasnt sure what was wrong, so I replaced the sector gear, steer shaft, and the plastic support shaft that holds everything together. I have cut my grass, maybe 5 times. Now it is doing the same stuff all over again. I s there some thing I am missing? Any ideas?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I would suspect the Plastic support shaft again.. I eliminated my support shaft piece and welded a metal brace in place of the plastic.. Look at the plastic piece as you turn your steering wheel and see if it's flexing again.

d

·
Registered
368 Posts
As a matter of fact I do!!

IMG_3221480.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the picture. Now I gotta see what I can do with it. You mind if I try to imitate it?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Feel free to copy,, What I did was to cut some angle iron, drilled the whole for the shaft ( after careful measurements ) then installed and held in place by a pair of channel locks, then I made adjustments to the angle iron to get the best alignment of the 2 gears.. then leaving the channel locks holding the pieces together took it all out and welded.

d

1 - 6 of 6 Posts