My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it normal for the steering wheel to just keep rotating even though the wheels are at their stops??.........just seemed to realize it the other day....
3205 54"

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
could you expound? please ,what could be wrong?

power steering makes no noise when turning...wheels turn fine, it just when the wheels are at full l or r turn, you can still turn the streering wheel, slightly added resistance??????...any ideas ?

·
Premium Member
7,953 Posts
I don't know anything about that model but it sounds like "drive by wire" power steering. If it is "drive by wire" power steering, all the steering wheel does is tell the power steering pump what you want it to do, and there is no direct linkage between the steering wheel and the actual steering hardware, so you can continue to keep turning the steering wheel forever, and all that it does is indicate your "wanting" to turn sharper, and the steering pump simply stops trying to turn the front wheels any further once they'e reached their stops.

Like I said, I don't know if that's what you've got, but it sounds like it.

Can you steer it without the engine running? If so, then my theory is shot.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Something is wrong. I'm trying to remember where the steering shaft terminates, my guess is at the pump. My steering wheel has about 2 turns lock-to-lock, and it will not go further. I would assume there is a lock at the pump that has failed.

By continuing to turn the wheel beyond the practical limits of travel, you are putting a strain on the hydro system. It's the equivalent of holding the deck actuator in the full up or down position.

This should be repaired. If you look at the steering shaft, look for something broken or cracked. My gut feeling is something near the pump.

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
Maybe it's just loose where the steering wheel attaches to the shaft right at the steering wheel hub. Maybe enough friction there to turn the shaft until it reaches it's limit, then you're just freewheeling the steering wheel on the shaft, albeit with some resistance.

Maybe there's a set screw somewhere to get the steering wheel to "bite" into the shaft and it's loose?

Looking on the Cub site parts viewer for the 3205 it looks like your steering shaft has a knurled or keyed end, so not likely that's freewheeling unless somehow you stripped it. It was tricky finding the right views.. if you go there, the steering wheel is in the "Dash" section and the shaft is in the "Pedestal" section.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the steering wheel is firm to the steering shaft, and small nut and washer is tight.......

at times it seems like the wheel will turn easily with the wheels at either stop position, sometimes not.......

anybody got any more ideas,,,,thanks to you all so far.........

·
Dirt Farmer
4 Posts
I have a 3205 tore down right now and I recall the owner talking about a similar problem a while back(a year or two back). I'll ask him about it and check out the mechanism and get back to ya as soon as I have time.

Bodean

·
Banned
852 Posts
While you are at it you might want to replace your ends also, they are metric if I'm not mistaken so be careful when you order. Check NAPA.

Scott

1 - 11 of 11 Posts