My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Cityboy
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
trying to figure out if JD used the steering gear for the 120/140 in any other tractor. It seem odd that they would do a one model only item like that. The 110,112 and other used the same gear box and the 200,300 series seem to use some of the same gear/box in there models. Does anyone know of another steering gear/box that will work in my 69 140 that might be more readily available? Any help would be appreciated.

Curtis

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
The 210 etc steering gear boxes have a taller tube and shaft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
697 Posts
The later 140s, around 1972 and newer, used a slightly different steering box, those were the same as models 300, 312, and 316 Kohler. The later box doesn't fit the earlier 140s without enlarging the frame hole for the large adjusting nut. No other John Deere tractors used the early 140 steering boxes.

John Deere didn't make the steering boxes, they were made by a company called Ross. These boxes were made for many different manufacturers, including Cub Cadet. There might be some other brand that used the exact same steering box as an early 140.

·
Super Moderator
8,179 Posts
^^^ this. Also, they are pretty simple to rebuild. Hardest part is getting them out of the tractor.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
2,108 Posts
If you have the Ross steering ...parts to rebuild it are available....you do have to get the shaft out of the tractor....which means the steering wheel has to come off...and that can be the hard part...this link is for Cub cadet steering....butit is the same as the JD.....you can order the parts.....the information is all there
How to Repair, Improve and Modify the Steering on a Cub Cadet Garden Tractor

·
Cityboy
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the response I though there would be some difference just didn't know what.

·
Cityboy
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I did see that the early 110 round fenders use a steering gear that looks from the pictures to be an exact fix to the 140.
The 140 part # is am31923 and the 110 round fenders part # is am31922
what do you think?

·
Cityboy
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your right it doesn't look easy to get out which is why I haven't done it yet, plus it's snowing here right now and I don't have a garage big enough to do it in or heated. Going to have to wait until spring.

·
Cityboy
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it is a Ross maybe I could find one out of a cub I'll have to do some research on it.
That link you sent happens to be to a guy name Brian the owner who rip me off on a engine
I took to him to fix. He very untrustworthy and a crook. I took my 16hp Kohler to him for
repair of a governor problem so they put in a new governor gear and said they put new rings,
and bearings and hone it and lapped the valves and rebuilt the carb which they didn't put all
the parts back in and then put it all back together with the same old parts and charged me $1000.
After I got it home and called him to complain about the charges he says everyone over charges
and rips people off so he didn't see a problem with it. After some more complaining he gave me
$300 back. He's had some peoples engines there for 3 years waiting to be built for pulling and
charging them $3000 in advance. Anyone reading this do not do business with this guy or send anything
to him to be repaired.

·
2,108 Posts
I have someone else too that sells those parts...also ...they are available on ebay...you don't need a new one....you could rebuild it....bearings, seals and cam follower..the only hard part is getting the steering wheel off....sometimes they are really on there

·
Cityboy
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you when I get ready to attempt can I contact you for that info. There is a brand new one for sale on ebay for $165 but that's alot.
And after that you have to replace the drag link and all the steering knuckles, on and on. The drag link is $129, it never ends.
Curtis

·
Administrator
4,570 Posts
I have read that the Ross boxes in the Cubs are the same as in my Ford LGTs. Not sure if the Deere ones are the same. Here is a pic of mine when I had it out repairing the cross shaft.

Attachments

·
Cityboy
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know what that part just to the right of the box but it is not the same shape as the jd140

·
Administrator
4,570 Posts
I have read that the Ross boxes in the Cubs are the same as in my Ford LGTs. Not sure if the Deere ones are the same. Here is a pic of mine when I had it out repairing the cross shaft.
That part is the broken steering shaft that goes through the hole in the box. The short tapered pin, goes in that gear. As the steering wheel turns, it goes up or down the gear causing the shaft to turn, if you get my drift. I had to weld that shaft back together.
I wasn't sure if yours would be the same. Your housing may be a different shape

Attachments

·
2,108 Posts
The only difference is what color they are painted..that piece laying on the table is the pitman arm....that little pin sticking out is the "cam follower"....and since most people do not know that it is even there...it never gets greased and subsequently wears and causes a lot of slop in the steering ...this guy sells all the stuff too.... Kirk Engines, Inc. >> Garden Tractor Performance Parts I bought tie rod ends from him and changed them all....that was on a Cub...you may want to install a thrust bearing also
...Kirk sells them...they are also available from McMaster Carr...maybe some other places ....1/2 inch thrust bearing...I think it is a #650...there is a picture of what is included when you buy it
here is a link to a video
Poncho...you gotta be a good welder to get that back together :tango_face_wink:...Why do you think you need a whole new set up?

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,570 Posts
"Poncho...you gotta be a good welder to get that back together"

Thanks, but they seem to hold better than they look. I welded that 10 years ago and it's still holding. I did another a couple of years later.

·
2,108 Posts
"Poncho...you gotta be a good welder to get that back together"

Thanks, but they seem to hold better than they look. I welded that 10 years ago and it's still holding. I did another a couple of years later.
What caused them to go like that?...were they dry?...no grease?...do you remember what rods you used?

·
Administrator
4,570 Posts
What caused them to go like that?...were they dry?...no grease?...do you remember what rods you used?
Both were broken when I got them. Probably one of the reasons I got them so cheap....$100 if I remember correctly, with deck, blade and tiller. Both were broken in the same spot. I have read that it is a common problem with the Ross boxes.
No, don't remember what rod....sorry

·
Cityboy
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think that question was directed at me, there is a lot of free play in the steering in will turn half way around in any direction before it starts to turn the wheels. I did notice the other day while trying to adjust it that the seal retainer is sliding out and as you turn the wheel it slide up and down with the pitman arm and then gets stuck between the pitman arm and the steering housing and stops you from turn anymore. I hope you understood all of that. Can one take the pitman arm out and clean everything up and put it back in without taking the steering box out of the tractor. Is there something that is suppose to hold the seal retainer in place so it doesn't move around and get lodged between things?
Curtis

·
2,108 Posts
You can fix it...you do not need a new one...did you get a chance to look at that video?...After having done it, and becoming familiar with the process..I believe I could work on it without removing it.....but it is a lot easier to take it out....the problem with removing the steering wheel without destroying it not withstanding..I have only done it on Cubs...yours could be easier to remove steering wheel...or to access the box underneath.....actually on the cub you can remove the cover between your legs on the deck between the seat pan and the dash tower and really get at it...especially if you remove the fuel tank also...I have overcome problems similar to what you describe...in one or 2 cases just by adjusting the cam follower.....if the follower is worn you can grind it down...or get a new one...they are only 20 dollars new and pretty readily available, and to me grinding it down is only a temporary fix....check your tie rod ends also ( SEE NEW ONE BELOW) ....best of luck with it....if you need to just send me a message if I miss a progress report from you and you need any help

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts