My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
That ending sales price is nothing short of unreal! I've purchased two late model Pro series tractors for just about at/below that price - with the brakes attached! I've seen this seller's name resurface on E-Bay recently and remember him from years ago - on E-Bay and a couple of group sites. I'm hoping that these are just parts he had left over from then.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I'm surprised some inventive individual hasn't come up with a disc setup for what these things go for and the seeming demand for steering brakes.

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
That's cheap. A few months ago, one went for over 700. It's not really crazy when you think about -- how many people want steering brakes? Just about everyone who owns a late model tractor. Unfortunately, there are very few out there in relation to the number of tractors.
Make no mistake about it, I really like the brakes that I have on my walk-behind machines. But at that price, I'm outta the game. Fortunately, the jobs I've encountered with my machines haven't mandated brake use - it was just a nice extra to have. It's difficult enough to fathom paying $500-600 for a new model L jug assembly, but that's a major component. I know why guy's want them - and it's often impractical or impossible to obtain the entire tractor (vs. just the brake set) - but man that just seems steep.

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
The real worry about buying a set for that price to me would be if they were worn and couldn't be used -- not so much the pads which are still available, but the linkages and backing plates, etc.
The back plate and shoes are all Bendix. I bet if you have a good Bendix source, you could get a better deal that the Gravely dealers will be able to give you.

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
So are just the linkages and bar gravely? the entire assembly on the hub is bendix?
The tiller, rods and linkages are Gravely. The back plate, shoes, springs and brake hubs are Bendix. I'm not sure if they are standard Bendix parts or custom made for Gravely.

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So are just the linkages and bar gravely? the entire assembly on the hub is bendix?
Great question. At the prices they're bringing I am going to do some closer research. Maybe Fla Don can give some insight.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I got a set on my 450 Commercial i dont need, let me know if anybody wants the complete set. They work excellent and plenty of adjustment left on em. I need a snowblower or plow, and would trade for that. Of a tiller or brushcutter or other attatchment.

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Doesn't the 450 have external brake bands?

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Doesn't matter. Give it a few more months of this and the price will drop right back down to $300. Everyone thinks an item is rare until one guy gets a lot for it on Ebay and suddenly 50 more come out the woodwork.
Yeah, it usually does. Just a matter of how many guys want to cannibalize their machines.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Doesn't matter. Give it a few more months of this and the price will drop right back down to $300. Everyone thinks an item is rare until one guy gets a lot for it on Ebay and suddenly 50 more come out the woodwork.
Sorta like the PTO drives ?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
:D. Something like that -- I think the brakes will stay high longer because they're more in demand as a useful accessory. The PTO drives, everybody thought they were ultra-rare until they started going for $200+ and everyone found theirs. I've had one in my garage for a while now and I forget it's even there; buried in a milk crate in the corner and that's probably where it will stay. The PTO drives have a much more limited use than the steering brakes, though, so the brakes may take longer to drop.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts