My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was taking out the 3206 today with the JB SR on it for some dirt moving. Just as I was heading out of the garage my steering went. The front ball joint broke. :crybaby: This is the second time it has broken. The first time I figured it was my doing because I was moving lots of dirt and driving over rocky ground and irregular soil and just over stressed it. However, this time I have not done any heavy work like that. Just JB SR work.

I do have front tires that are treaded and they were low on air. Oh and I do know my son ran the deere into the cub and gave the deere a flat front tire. So I suppose the break could be my doing :dunno:

Has anyone else had this issue? I see the part for sale most everywhere for around $35 give or take with shipping and the replacement is easy enough. Just wondering if I should change the front tires too since this part costs almost what a tire costs.:thSick:

·
Registered
695 Posts
I've worn them out but never broke any. I'm wondering if maybe there is another issue going on. Maybe something bent in the steering linkages or worn out bushing in the spindles.

Not long ago I rebuilt the entire front axle in my 1872 Super. I replaced all bushing, bearings and anything else subject to wear. Instead of the ball joints I replaced mine with rod ends from Summit racing. They are inexpensive and very strong.

The bolts in the pic were replaced with the correct length and I used Nylok nuts on all the bolts.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I've worn them out but never broke any. I'm wondering if maybe there is another issue going on. Maybe something bent in the steering linkages or worn out bushing in the spindles.

Not long ago I rebuilt the entire front axle in my 1872 Super. I replaced all bushing, bearings and anything else subject to wear. Instead of the ball joints I replaced mine with rod ends from Summit racing. They are inexpensive and very strong.

The bolts in the pic were replaced with the correct length and I used Nylok nuts on all the bolts.
Now THAT is a steering set up - will probably last forever. Nice job!

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Did you inspect the balljoint to see what may have caused it to break? Did the ball just fall out of the socket, or is the socket totally destroyed?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you inspect the balljoint to see what may have caused it to break? Did the ball just fall out of the socket, or is the socket totally destroyed?
The socket cracked in half and the ball just fell out. The non spoke side of the socket just cracked and came off almost at 3 and 9 if it were a clock.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've worn them out but never broke any. I'm wondering if maybe there is another issue going on. Maybe something bent in the steering linkages or worn out bushing in the spindles....
That is way cool. This may be a really dumb question but how do you size a ball joint? I'd like to get a generic one (or a box of them) but don't know how or where to size them.

I have the front lifted up with the JB SR and the tires move easily. YOu are right...I'll look at the components to see what is bent.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Not sure about sizing ball joints. The rod ends are sized by the thread on the tie rods and the bolt which will go through the rod end itself. They also come in left and right threads, male or female on the tie rod part. Spacers and cones are also available for setting the height and for clearance issues.

Didn't realize you had a Johny Bucket. The loads in that might be your problem. Extra weight on the front end puts a lot of stress on the steering components. In that case I'd upgrade to the rod ends. Lots of places sell them.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
I would definitely upgrade if you can, especially for the cost. 35.00 ea? Yeah, you should be able to find automotive style tie rod ends, maybe even serviceable ones with grease fittings! I know you (as many others on this forum do) put their 3000 Series to the test on a regular basis. You would think the the tie rod ends could handle that - but I guess with power steering you aren't really forced to pay much attention to the load on the steering.

If I were you, I'd also look into some nice V61 tires for the front. With all the JB time that Cub sees, I wouldn't be surprised if running the knobby front tires in addition to carrying a load (and being low on air) put at the very least a little undue stress on the front end joints.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I broke two last summer and replaced them with some "generic" (seems like they were a metric size) replacement for something like $9 each at the local small-town, hardware store. No issues since.

·
Registered
90 Posts
These steering rod balljoints are prone to going bad. I've replace at least three on my two cub's. I get them at Lowe's in the MTD parts for about $7.00 each. Now I just keep a couple spares on hand. On my big HT20 Bolens, I replaced all steering ends with grease-able aircraft heim joints and never had a problem again. :fing32:

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Does the Bolens use the same style internal threaded balljoints as the Cubs? I'd love to upgrade myself. Even new out of the box the cheapo balljoints have some play in them.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Does the Bolens use the same style internal threaded balljoints as the Cubs? I'd love to upgrade myself. Even new out of the box the cheapo balljoints have some play in them.
Yep, my Bolens looked just like the Cub style although with a larger 1/2" rod connecting the joints.

·
Make Better Mowers
2,075 Posts
Perhaps someone makes them out of stainless. That would be a much stronger metal.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
If any of you guys want replacements heim-style balljoints, I can get em real cheap. Checked at work, we can get parts through Rotary - and the replacements are 6.00 each my cost. Checked one out and they are so much stronger than the typical balljoint.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi again,

Just to close the loop. I searched for Ball Joint, 12MM x 1.75 RH as is listed on the CC site for parts. I found a place called midwestcontrol and ordered one from them. with shipping it cost about $20. shipping was most of the cost. I think I could have ordered 10 for $50. Anyway, I picked up some 4ply turfs from the local deere store for $84 and mounted them with new valve stems. All looks good now and appears to be working well. It has been so warm that I just did the oil and hydro now too. I am going to post a separate question on this. It has been a few weeks and no leaks. I'll see how it works in the next few monts.

thanks for all your help

As a side note, I found another use for my JB SR. Even with the front tires off I could use it as a bead breaker for the tires. Just point it down and use the digging teeth to take the tire off the rim.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Nice! Anything that makes dismounting tire beads is gold in my book :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts