My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Tractor addict
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a random thought between those of my cat, that is of steel wheels for a garden tractor. Did any one offer steel wheels for a garden tractor? I know steel wheels are a little unliked by pulling competitions and people working on the lawn but I could see where they would work good in the garden.

Just a thought.:greendr:

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Interesting that you should bring this up. Sometime back I saw a picture of a GT with steel wheels and it got me to thinking. Since I'm gathering parts to convert a 1050 Bolens into a dedicated tiller tractor I, like you, thought the steel wheels would work well for garden use. I have a flywheel off an old baler and am searching around for another like it. Lot's of weight for traction and with lugs added they should work well for the drive wheels. I'm thinking about the design for the front wheels but have not decided on a finish design. Something along the line of a single or tri-rib pneumatic tire but with a deeper bite. I've found it's not that easy to get a GT to turn well with a tiller running. Turning brakes will definitely be part of the design.

Major drawbacks I see would be the need to put down planks when moving the machine into the shop or loading on a trailer. This and the fact, as you mentioned, that it would be hard on any groomed or paved areas crossed.

Sure would put a stop the the flat tire problem.

Mike

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I was also thinking about something like this for tilling and running in the woods. I was thinking If I could get a big enough set of car rims with the right bolt pattern, I could weld ribs on for tread.

Jason

·
Branded for LIFE !!!
4,451 Posts
Alot of Amish..replace there wheels with steel..mostly rigged from what i've seen,...:trink40:

·
Tractor addict
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not much of a picture but it shows an idea on how to make one using more modern things found at a metal shop or at a home/farm supply store. Use re bar to make the lugs and a rim to weld it on, that would look like it works. I have tried steering a garden tractor (wheel horse raider 10) with a tiller and it takes a little while to turn and going up a 4 inch bank on the edge of the garden will surely have you seeing the clouds until the rear tires grip and pull you up passed the edge.

I wish I had a welder and some money, I would order a set of rims through work and buy some re bar to try this out. I think it would work and would be less damaging to other surfaces.

Attachments

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,785 Posts
If I'm not mistaken it's a 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern which is a Ford, Jeep, trailer standard lug pattern. Gives you something round to start with and readily available. Space saver spare rim would be narrow and bolt on... build it up with what ever lug you wanted.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,744 Posts
Chrysler minivan rims also have the same bolt pattern, and as stated above, the space saver spares are narrower.

·
Still plays with tractors
2,302 Posts
Speedex made one.

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
The rims on our '93 Caravan are 5 lug,but have a 4.25" bolt circle..wont bolt up to my tractors!..the others listed are 5 lug 4.5" bolt pattern,but will need the center hole enlarged to fit over the hub pilot on most tractors..

I have run space savers on many tractors and they are so stiff you will be hard pressed to puncture them,no matter what you ran over!.you hardly even NEED air in them ,period!..

·
Registered
60 Posts
The Cub Cadet forums had pics of a few home built steel wheels on Cubs made to look like 30s big tractors. Just weld some 2x2 heavy angle around a car rim for an easy steel wheel cleats

·
Registered
260 Posts
This is one of the coolest I've seen. Adam

Attachments

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
That is cool! I guess you could not fill those for weight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts