My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
IMG_20160427_144307.jpg Found out how much harder it is to put something back together as opposed to tearing it apart, but slowly and surely its gonna get done.
I have scratched a lot of new paint tho but who cares, it still looks better than it did when I " rescued" it ..or it rescued me as well to.
Getting that gas tank on after the h-bars were all tightened down has to be the hard way.
Oh well heres some pics.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
Looks great Gerrand!

So close to the finish line, that first pull!

RB
Thanks but there is still much to be done, everything has to be done three times it seems. Like holding those shakel bolts & nuts w/the tips of my fingers in the hole in the fan shroud to bolt other side to gas tank. I dropped them several times down in the fan shroud and the times they didnt fall out I got em w/a magnet. lol.

And that gas tank was murder, had the round braces or whatever they are called on already and had to stick a wood handle in filler and beat the tank into place w/rubber mallets that took 20 mins or so.
Lost a lot of new paint but didnt put any dents in tank miraculouslyl lol.

THIS UPSIDE DOWN CRAP IS DRIVING ME CRAZY !

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gotta go to work ( I have bankers hrs., 12 noon to 6 or 7 three or four days a week) but where I really screwed-up was I was in a hurry a a summer or two ago sanding my tank w/a scotch brite pad and really messed-up my info plate.
Thats what happens when I get in a hurry. lol. ( to keep from crying)

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Gotta go to work ( I have bankers hrs., 12 noon to 6 or 7 three or four days a week) but where I really screwed-up was I was in a hurry a a summer or two ago sanding my tank w/a scotch brite pad and really messed-up my info plate.
Thats what happens when I get in a hurry. lol. ( to keep erom crying)

P.S. I thought I posted this at 10:30 today as I was getting ready to leave.
For what its worth. I dont want anyone to think I didnt reply back to them is why I went ahead and poster it now at 8:30.

Now there is two of them and this one here was already typed and I didnt do it twice.
Well its all above my head lol!
Guess I better let it be. I dont have much hair left to rip out by the roots lol!

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The carb looks like a real showpiece now.:fing32:
I cant take full credit for the carb, I took it apart and cleaned and polished it within an inch of its life on the inside and outside and bought one of those rebuilding kits and sent it to someone on here and they rebuilt it, I dont even remember who it was.
But all that I didnt do is the new parts in carb and the new fan bearings that I fought with for a week and finally gave up and let a shop finish the bearings for me. I had em half-way done but they were sealed bearings and the stock ones might have been but all I saw was ball-bearings inside if them.

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
“I cant take full credit for the carb, I took it apart and cleaned and polished it within an inch of its life on the inside and outside.”

That’s the difference between a best of show and a contender.

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
“I cant take full credit for the carb, I took it apart and cleaned and polished it within an inch of its life on the inside and outside.”

That’s the difference between a best of show and a contender.
Yhats a good rule of thumb but this bucket couldnt be a shower, unless there was a contest of people who have never done it before lol.

I was concerned about how the hood bumpers was gonna go on but this is the only way and man they really work. They are new because my old ones were still on it and they are hard as a rock and prolly would scratch anything they came in contact with. But 50+ yr. old rubber would be hard to expect anything more from it. It seemed more like bakelite at this point.
But the new soft ones do great, and plus you can look at them from operators position w/hood up and tell how things are lined-up.
One of the few things I was pleased with wich means its one of the few things I didnt have to do 3 or 4 times...yet lol.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
It's looking great!

But I'm afraid the hood bumpers are on upside down :hide:

The thin end is supposed to slide down over the end of the tank. That keeps the hood from oscilating sideways.

It really is looking great!

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's looking great!

The thin end is supposed to slide down over the end of the tank. That keeps the hood from oscilating sideways.

It really is looking great!
Well crap,aint that par for the course lol. I'll just have to flip 'em tomorrow when I get home. If I woulda did it the other way this way would have been the right one. Its a curse Ive lived with my entire life.
I'll flip them because I want it to be right but does it make a big diff ya think? It would look better because less rubber will be showing I recon.
But thank you for the correction because I feel your'e about the most knowledgeable one I have ever heard from
Thanks again.

P.S.-If and when I do ever get finished with this thing I'll know a bit about them to on account of the fact that everything Ive done to it Ive had to do a half a dozen times. lol.

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's looking great!

It really is looking great![/Q

I turned them around and can see how its gonna work, especially gong left to right.

I guess Im gonna put some kind of vibration dampener on the left h-bar because its a little closer to the tractor and could or will probably vibrate when running. If its not anything to drastic because I have no desire to start taking stuff apart again.

·
Daryl G
852 Posts
Gerrard,
I have been away in Colorado but still following this thread though I could not respond as all I had was an Ipad and it gets old having to retype my responses. That machine is looking nice, really nice. Are we just days away from doing the initial 'firing up' of this machine? Once your son gets this gift what are your plans for the other machine?

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gerrard,
I have been away in Colorado but still following this thread though I could not respond as all I had was an Ipad and it gets old having to retype my responses. That machine is looking nice, really nice. Are we just days away from doing the initial 'firing up' of this machine? Once your son gets this gift what are your plans for the other machine?
Hey Buddy! I was wondering where you was and figured you was somewhere as you described as in net connections.
And good to hear from you, but the weather is kinda giving me a kick to the groin but Im goin out there tomorrow because Im off work for the next few days but its not supposed to be nice at all, i.e.20's degrees.
Im gonna hook-up kill switch to magneto and put air intake filter assy. together and on, try to clean up 90 deg. hose from carb to air cleaner and a bunch of stf kije ( NODDED-OFF RIGHT HERE, DONT KNOW HOW TO FIX IT) that and then move on to that deck that I have entire drive unit off of.
But again I have plenty of time because Im not taking it to him for it to sit out in the rain and weather.
Im gonna try to get one of those small bldgs, that they sell everywhere so I can work on stuff in the winter.
But Im getting somewhere little by little for sure.. Im gonna try to make a elect. connection to kill switch/wire & magneto with solder, a copper washer because Im sick of the aluminum crap You have to buy, I crimp the eyelet that goes over tiny boit that comes out of side of magneto and it just crushes it and if falls apart,
I'll be back on here with some pics tomorrow of what Ive done because I keep falling asleep typing.
Great to hear from you,
Mark

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As soon as I start finally getting stuff reassembled on my Gravely in two days it went from summer to winter and I mean that litteraly.
We had one week of fall if that. We have two seasons here and that is summer and winter and it makes me mad as heck.
I gotta get one of those pre-made little buildings that you see on about every corner and you can get about any size you want but I think for about $2,500 I can get one big enuf to work on the Gravely in bad weather because this having no place to work on anything in winter is for the birds.

·
15,000 +posts!
19,604 Posts
My first "garage" was a box truck body ,12 feet long by about 8 feet wide inside--still use it as a storage shed,it was refrigerated and used to haul lobsters,no A/C unit came with it though..the floor was diamond plate aluminum,it got some holes in it where the steel bolts attaching it to the steel channel iron frame corroded from electrolosis ,but it kept me out of the rain..and snow!..an electric heater took forever to get it almost warm inside,but it was better than being exposed to the elements..was pretty cramped working in it on a tractor ,but anything beats being outside in frigid weather..

Before I bought that truck body for $300,I made a crude shelter out of some large pallets I got from a box company,some were 10-12 feet long and 3 feet wide--I bolted some together to make a big "box" and used OSB baords the same place gave away with the pallets to enclose the slats on the walls and make a roof,and I used a tarp for a roof covering..at one point it even had a wood stove,but I had to take it down after it was erected for at least a year,when someone must have whined to the building inspector about it ..

It got cold fast up here near Cape Cod too--was 17 degrees last night here and never got over 40 all day,was just as cold yesterday with a 40 mph gusty wind all day long..might hit 50 tomorrow,and thats as warm as it'll get they say till the week after..

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
My first "garage" was a box truck body ,

It got cold fast up here near Cape Cod too--was 17 degrees last night here and never got over 40 all day,was just as cold yesterday with a 40 mph gusty wind all day long..might hit 50 tomorrow,and thats as warm as it'll get they say till the week after..
Yea not doing anything is a problem, and I was planning on putting a wood burner in whatever I can get to. Do you know you can get a nice one at Rural King for $300? Its nothing fancy but its prolly 18"" x 30" and is a flat-top w/2 round pot holes ( or whatever they are called) but I live in a crowded neighborhood and if it doesnt look decent there is now a "compliance officer" round here to keep the college kids from having couches on their porch and stuff.
I bought a little book at TSC on things to build with pallets and my big work table I built this summer ( took up a lot of time) is made from a big crate we got something shipped in at work or the top is and its a big huge work table. No frills and messed up the finnish of it by using polyurethane and stain mixed wich was a good lesson learned to never use on anything you care what it looks like.
Take Care
Gerrard

That thing is like 84X36 and I have to drag it if I have to move it, its hard to even pick up one end of it. But you can see the crate before I put plywood on the top over it.
It will be around forever I'd think lol.

It was made to use thats for sure, Check out the built-in drawers that go back almost 36". I now have these plastic pan-like drawers that came out of a big tool box I got somewhere.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts