My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I’ve got a Bolens H16, which was running well, but the engine stopped kicking over.
The starter motor would lightly smoke from the brush end of it, so I bought a new one for it.

when I installed the new one, the engine wouldn't start.
all I hear is that click sound, but then the positive terminal on the battery started sparking when I would turn the key.
I’m lost here, and would loooove some guidance.
Any thoughts?

·
5,786 Posts
Had you disconnected the battery recently?....are you sure you have the battery cables connected pos to pos, neg to neg?
In any case...disconnect the cables....both of them....then check for any bare wires in the neighborhood of the starter. that could be touching something it shouldn't be .....then connect the pos ...make sure it is tight...then the neg...again make sure it is tight ...see what happens and get back on here and let us know

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did take the battery out recently.
I took the connections off, wire brushed them, checked for loose wires, couldnt find any, doesnt mean they arent there, just that i didnt find them, but its still doing the same thing.
Now its just clicking, not getting the spark which is nice.
The connections on the battery are correct, pos to pos, neg to neg.

But still not working.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Have you had the battery tested or tried jumping it from a known good battery? Sounds like it's not producing enough current to make the starter turn.

·
Registered
606 Posts
The solution is "the positive terminal on the battery started sparking when I would turn the key". That means one of three things:
1) battery connection is loose
2) battery to starter wire is defective
3) battery is defective, contact is broken just inside so you see it sparking.

Sounds like you've ruled out #1.
For #2 use a jumper wire, battery to starter. It will have to be heavy gauge. A jumper cable will work.
For #3 best would be try another battery. Other choice wearing gloves and insulated pliers (no shock hazard but could get hot) have someone turn key to start while you wiggle + positive terminal with pliers.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took the battery to Autozone to replace it, but they tested it and said it was good.
The headlights are bright as ever.
I tried to jump it with my car, but still just got the click sound.
when i put the jumpers on the terminals, while connected to my running car, it wouldnt always spart on contact, in fact, it more often than not didnt spark.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The tractor was running totally fine until all of a sudden it wouldnt start, and the starter started smoking, not much background, but there were no noticable issues before this, in case that helps at all.

·
5,786 Posts
It still seems that the symptoms indicate a loose connection somewhere...did you try jumping from battery positive to the starter lug with the red cable?...It will spark , but should spin if you do that

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just tried jumping but with the pos on the starter lug. It did spark, but still just that click sound.
this is killing me!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Since your battery tested good, I would use jumper cables negative from battery negative to a ground near the starter (starter mount bolt or starter housing or engine block). Positive from battery to starter lug. If your starter is good it will crank when you touch the cable to the lug. This will eliminate any wiring switches or grounds.

·
5,786 Posts
OK...this is perplexing...let's try this.....make sure that the engine has not gotten bound up...try to turn it by hand (disconnect the battery to do this)...if the engine is free then
check for power at the small terminal of the solenoid while depressing the clutch/brake pedal and holding the key in the start position (you may need an assistant to sit in the seat to satisfy the safety switch). If your solenoid is a four wire solenoid, check both small wire terminals as one is ground and the other is power from the ignition switch. If your solenoid is a three wire solenoid, make sure the solenoid body is not corroded where it bolts to the chassis of the mower as this is your ground path back to the battery. *If in doubt, remove the solenoid and clean the mounting area down to bare metal. *If there is no power to the small terminal then your problem is most likely a safety switch, ignition switch or in the wiring.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, I’ll try and move the engine manually shortly. In the meantime thought I would just mention that the rear light doesn’t work at the moment either. Headlights work, rear light does not.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the new starter only had three mounting bolts, and the wire that connects to it.

I could have messed it up, but dont see how that could even be possible?

·
5,786 Posts
Can you take a picture of what you have?....do you have a test light? if not they are less than 5 dollars at Harbor Freight..check to see if it is just the bulb...or if there is just no juice making it to the socket...also check if there is a fuse in that line....if you have a blown fuse on that circuit, check further for a bare wire rubbing on chassis...that COULD be the problem

·
Registered
691 Posts
the new starter only had three mounting bolts, and the wire that connects to it.

I could have messed it up, but don't see how that could even be possible?
Okay, that's a different set up to me. I've never seen a starter with just a one wire connection.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts