My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
certified tractor nut
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everybody im new to the forum and need some help with my mtd. the problem began last year where the starter would roll the engine over to compression then stop the only way i could get it to start was by turning the key from on to start multiple times till it would finally crank and run. this year when i went to use the mower i turned the key and nothing happened so i started checking all the wiring what i found was that every wire attached to the solenoid was completely fried including the positive battery cable i was able to replace all the wires but i used a larger gage wire for everything hoping this wont happen again but i went to start it and same thing as last year it hits compression and stops cranking but turning the key from on to start repeatedly starts it i put a different starter on it from a parts mower i have and just put a brand new 400 cca battery in it this year as the old one was junk from the wire nightmare any help with this thing is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
126 Posts
is it OHV? it might need a valve adjustment because briggs with OHV need valve adjustments very often.

·
Registered
334 Posts
is a starter or start/generator in anyevent you sound like it has a bad gound wire .when it stops it burnning the armeture and that makes a dead spot so every time it get to that spot it stops get back to the right size wire and clean up all the grounds. you may have to replace the starter to.
:00000060::rauch10:

·
certified tractor nut
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah it is but i have no idea what the specs are

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,074 Posts
"it might need a valve adjustment"

"yeah it is but i have no idea what the specs are"

I have detailed instructions for adjusting your valves, the engine will be a 28 series. Email address below, put in proper format.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at verizon dot net

·
certified tractor nut
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
thanks for the info walt ill give it a go tomorrow and see what happens

·
certified tractor nut
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thaks for the help guys it was the valves. but they wernt adjustable turns out that the rocker pivot nuts were so loose i could unscrew them with my fingers so i snugged them up and all is well and thanks to walt for e mailing me the adjustment procedure as i have a craftsman mower with a 15.5 b&s that the valves are adjustable on

·
Registered
186 Posts
An OHV not adjustable? Curious. I have a 208707 14.5 B&S OHV and it's adjustable. Not saying you're wrong, just didn't know they had such different animals out there ;)

J

·
certified tractor nut
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok i guess i should sort of correct my last post my 15.5 craftsman has the adjusting screw with lock nut setup like the old cars with solid lifters the 14.5 mtd that i had asked about just has the rocker hold down nuts and no other adjustments i was half asleep when i made the last post so i appologize if i sounded a little confused there:fing20:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts