My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how are kubota for starting in cold weather?? looking at a bx series for mowing,snow blowing and general yard work.

·
Registered
75 Posts
how are kubota for starting in cold weather?? looking at a bx series for mowing,snow blowing and general yard work.
I have 3 Kubotas and they all start fine here in MI

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,183 Posts
As long as my B is out of direct wind in unheated shed/garage, it starts fine. Colder temps mean a little longer on the glow plug, but starts just the same.

·
Rich in RI
83 Posts
I like synthetic oil for its cold weather characteristics, enabling the engine to spin more freely, and thus start easier. This was very important to my aging Cub Cadet 125 so I kept it up with the BX. I give the glow plugs 10 seconds in the coldest weather, and she starts right up. Here in coastal NE we don't get the bitter cold very often. The MI post is a more valid reply!

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
My BX starts fine. Added a block heater and it it starts just like summer. about 45 minutes and it's good to go. they start without the heater but it just seems when it's about 0 degrees it would be better for the engine.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I've started mine in sever cold (for Ohio) when the high for the day was in the teens. As stated above, hit the glow plugs for a 10 count and you're good to go... tends to like just a little above idle warming up, as these engines shake a bit harder it seems in the cold. 1500 rpm will warm it up in no time! Oh, and I've heard you shouldn't hammer away on the hydrostatic until it has also had a chance to warm up a bit.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've had a BX2350 and BX2360 thru Eastern Wisconsin winters. Started below zero a few times without much difficultly. A bit more glow plug and a bit more turing over but they always started. They are stored in a detached, unheated garage. I am debating about a block heater.

Good Luck...

·
Tractor Buff
66 Posts
How are kubota for starting in cold weather?? looking at a bx series for mowing,snow blowing and general yard work.

On my L2950 I use a battery blanket, inline rad hose heater where I live solely because I Live in Northern Ontario Near Thunder Bay where my weather temps can be as low as 30 degrees below zero fahrenheit and have never had a problem. As a suggestion if you don't have a cab you may want one especially if you're blowing snow. Or look into what is called a heat hauser which provides side covers and operator protection from wind

Good Luck, have fun with your tractor and Don't forget the saftey rules when operating your equipment and the moving parts summer or winter the rules still apply

Banditnabber

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
On my L2950 I use a battery blanket, inline rad hose heater where I live solely because I Live in Northern Ontario Near Thunder Bay where my weather temps can be as low as 30 degrees below zero fahrenheit and have never had a problem. Banditnabber
Man, I've toiled in some cold temps but I bet it's a long-lasting cold up there :D :D

You probably get to see the Polar Bears on a regular basis too :D

·
Rich in RI
83 Posts
FWIW...Years ago I used the poor man's block heater on my Cub Cadet. I placed a drop light directly under the engine block during the overnight, and believe that it made a difference in the morning when it was time to start it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts