My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, picked up a nice clean bricktop 7246 today for a song. Empty tank, told it was used last year. I am unfamiliar with this carb. Is there a choke? It looks like the bowl had a primer on it on the bottom, and then there was a rod sticking out the top with a green grip that could be spun around. I don't know if this was opening and closing the choke. Should I prep the cylinder in any way before launch? Thanks for any info, and I'll post picks

·
Wile E. Coyote
626 Posts
The on/off switch is also the primer. Turn it to on and push a bunch of times since it was without fuel. The green knob you turned is the "idle adjustment screw". It controls the amount of fuel being burned. Too much and you'll foul the plug too little and you'll be too lean. There is no choke on these models. Before you start it. Put a little bit of oil in the spark plug hole. One since it sat for a while and two to give a little lube as you're trying to start it without fuel getting there.

Pete

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,546 Posts
"Turn it to on and push a bunch of times since it was without fuel. The green knob you turned is the "idle adjustment screw"."

Two things here, do not push the plunger frantically, you see, it actually primes on the return so slow deliberate pulses work best, primer "well" needs time to fill.

Also, the "green Knob" is actually the main metering jet adjustment. There will be a small screw for low speed mixture adjustment.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Turn it to on and push a bunch of times since it was without fuel. The green knob you turned is the "idle adjustment screw"."

Two things here, do not push the plunger frantically, you see, it actually primes on the return so slow deliberate pulses work best, primer "well" needs time to fill.

Also, the "green Knob" is actually the main metering jet adjustment. There will be a small screw for low speed mixture adjustment.

Walt Conner
Thanks guys, I pulled the muffler plate and the exhaust ports were clean. I put a little oil in the cylinder and did a compression and it was about 90. I think it is a good motor. Will try to start tomorrow.

·
LAWN-BOY-AHOLIC
1,349 Posts
Two or three primes is what i give mine. The wheel is the main jett adjustment CCW to richen the mixture CW to lean it out. Get it started, let it warm up for five minutes or so then adjust the wheel until you get a slight burbble at no load. You may need to hit the primer a couple of times if it want to die right after starting. Good luck!

·
Collector of many tractors
15,231 Posts
If it's not been started for a while use your battery drill to turn the engine like a starter... Saves a lot of work...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Started second pull. Tank was empty and cylinder had oil. Looks like it was put away properly.

Is there a pdf for a d engine out there? I'd like to learn more about the carb, but I couldn't find any diagrams or manuals under that model on the toro site.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry to kick up an oldie, but I was just cutting with this today for really the first time. It seems to run way too high on rpm. Is there any adjustment for this?

·
Registered
504 Posts
What is the rpm? you need to check it with a tachometer. What is the position of the throttle lever when the engine is running? it should be level to angled slightly down. When not running it should be at approximately 45 degrees. The adjustment is to set the governor.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your response. While running the throttle linkage was 45 degrees or more down. Where is the governor adjustment? Thanks much. Very nice mower by the way...it must weigh about 50 lbs.

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
On my 5232 Brick, heavy setting runs at(from memory) 3300 +/- 100 rpm or so last I checked with my photo Tachometer. I run it on the low setting when first starting then once warm, let 'er rip at heavy. it really slings the grass out!
Good luck with your new (old) BT.

MU

1 - 12 of 12 Posts