My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1956 IH 300 utility
and a couple weeks ago it started just randomly quiting.
I wiggled the ignition switch and it would start.
So I replaced the ignition switch.
Well it still won't start.
I got a multi-meter and I have 12.9 volts at the big starter wire but no power to the little selonid wire when turning the key.
There is a little relay or something by the battery what is that?
I don't know where to go from here.
I need some direction here.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I decided to take all the conduit off all the wiring on the left side of the tractor.
Dang it's a mess.
Whoever wired this sucks.
No crimp connectors nothing...
I got a IT manual for my OH 300 utility but strangely it doesn't have a wiring diagram.
Dang it now I gotta figure out this mess with no wiring diagram.

Attachments

·
2,136 Posts
Check for continuity through that circuit breaker....if no continuity, replace it...then disconnect, clean and reconnect very wire terminal that you can find...rewiring it may be a good idea...without a diagram simply just change one wire at a time...use different colored wires to differentiate and use full lengths without connecting pieces in the middle...you can actually just try to install a 12v 40 amp relay switch that will help unless some connection is just not making contact at all

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd look online for a wiring diagram..
Replacing one wire at a time might work,but if the previous "electrician" put a wire where it doesn't belong,you'll be copying his mistake..
I got the IH 300 utility fixed today.
She's running.
The cobble job "electrician" had spliced wires together by stripping back the coating and it corroded and broke.
I rerouted the wires direct to the battery instead of the starter post.
Looks alot cleaner now.

Attachments

·
1,766 Posts
As long as you're already greasy, go ahead and service those ground connections.

They're every bit as important as the 'hots', and keeping them in just as good a condition will serve the machine and you well in years to come.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As long as you're already greasy, go ahead and service those ground connections.

They're every bit as important as the 'hots', and keeping them in just as good a condition will serve the machine and you well in years to come.
+1 on the clean grounds. Very important.
Thanks for the advice guys.
I cleaned up the grounds with a dollar store wire brush set. Worked good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts